1987 150 Xr2 one bank not firing?

BD

Recruit
Hi All,

Being short on time I dropped my boat off at the marina in town to have the lower unit oil changed and a new impeller installed. I also asked the guy to look at the poppet valves as it had been overheating at WOT the last time I had it out, (last year). I really trust this guy and have known him for years. He's telling me that the poppet vlaves looked fine so he put it in to start it up and only the three cylinders in the right bank are firing. What would cause one bank of cylinders to not fire? I don't even know where to start on this one.
BD

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 150 Xr2 one bank not firing?

Stator or switch box, more likely the stator...

BD

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. So a faulty stator could prevent one bank of three cylinders from firing, while allowing the other bank of three to run normally? Any advice for a source for the stator and/or a switch box?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Here on Iboats...top of page.

BD

Recruit

Ah Ha!, There they are. According to my wife, the only thing I can find right in front of my face is a beer in the fridge :)
I have a cople additional questions: Is there a way to test the stator and/or switch box to determine which one is at fault? How critical is brand? I see CDI Mallory and Sierra offered on this site. I have no idea whats in my motor currently. Is it important to use the same brand of switch box and stator? If it's a switch box, should I replace both at the same time? It looks like a stator and both switch boxes would total pretty close to $600. A hefty investment in an older motor.