awaking a 1951 johnson seahorse tn27

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any suggestions on waking this motor up.I am replacing plugs compession seems fine. Has been asleep for 50 years.
No fuel in it will carb need cleaned? Lower gear grease? Fuel lines replaced? I have not tried starting it but will soon.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: awaking a 1951 johnson seahorse tn27

fired up the 51 seahorse today after seting in the garage for 50 years no leaks Just replaced the plugs and lubed the bottom gear with new lube Filled it with fresh gas and it fired right up. Took it out on the lake and it ran fine. The only thing is ideling down for trolling it tends to not let me idel it down all the way. When slowing down it will only keep running to the sliding start position or so. Is thius normal ? Any suggestions.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, it sounds like you really lucked out with this motor. You might have to tweek on the low speed needle a little. Those usually set at 5/8 turn out from lightly seated. You will likely need a new water pump impeller. The best thing to do, is go itno the "Top Secret File" on this forum and read the "Awakening a sleeping outboard" page. There are good tips and tune up suggestions for your motor.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, it sounds like you really lucked out with this motor. You might have to tweek on the low speed needle a little. Those usually set at 5/8 turn out from lightly seated.

I started it at 3/4 turn and made a few adjustments but not must change in the operation. would float not let it Idel down?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Your float may need to be re-coated