Brand new 15&20hp 4stroke suzuki (efi)

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
Well i was just looking around at some sites and i usually go to internetoutboads.com all the time to see what type of deals they are running.

I went to check on the suzuki's and i see there is a brand new 15&20hp (efi)suzuki out.Must of just happened recently.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about them,good or bad?They seem to be built on the same platform as the 9.9/15hp.The cc's has come up a bit at 327 instead of 302.Should we expect anymore power from these motors or just the efi is the big difference.I hear most people say a 20hp is a 20hp.Does that mean you will expect the same performance out of the suzuki as say the merc 20hp 4stroke or even the yamaha?I know the merc and yamaha are higher in the cc's range but the suzuki weighs in at 97lbs as the original plus it's efi.The yamaha and merc are as we know it around 115lbs with no efi.

Just trying to get some info if anyone has any.This motor has really peaked my interest.It was only going to be a matter of time before suzuki did this.Everyone else has a 20hp except them till now.

boater1234

Re: Brand new 15&20hp 4stroke suzuki (efi)

No one has any thoughts on this new line of motors by suzuki.Does anyone have this motor yet or maybe has some info on it.I can't seem to find much so far.Seems to be a nice little motor for the money.You get efi starting which is awesome for a small outboard.I'm just wondering how they added all the stuff plus made it more powerful i would think since the cc's went up but the weight of the motor is the same.In reality how much more can anyone expect out of this motor compared to the original 15hp carb.

I would guess you would see a bit more top end at least.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The only advantage is that you don't have the carb varnishing up like you do on other models. I haven't run one yet as they are just being released now. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks if they play the national anthem or are the cure for cancer:)

boater1234

Sounds good TG.I'm very interested in getting a new 20hp 4stroke outboard for a long time now.This one seems to be hopefully a winner.Will all the 20hp 4strokes including this suzuki perform the same as eachother as far as just top end even know the suzuki has less cc's?I would guess the bit of a weight difference should come into play even know it's like 17-18lbs difference.

Really looking foward to seeing what you come up with out of some use TG.Hopefully it's all cracked up to be what it is.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

HP is an indicator of top speed, the Displacement is an indicator of low-mid range torque compared to other 20hp engine. I can imagine it wouldn't have the punch of bigger displacement 20hp engine and will act more like the 15hp it's based on while accelerating. It SHOULD how ever run just as fast. The EFI is great news for small outboards, the small carbs had TINY jets that were easy to plug, now a thing of the past. Suzuki has been doing battery-less EFI engines since the early 90's on Arctic Cat snowmobiles.

boater1234

I may go out on the edge and buy this suzuki after selling my motor.I'm not going to do anything till i get some feedback from TG.I hope it's not a bust.

boater1234

Hey TG i was just wondering if you heard anything yet on the new motors.Maybe you tried one.Please let me know as soon as you do please.Seems like a winner from what i have seen so far i hope you feel the same as i trust your judgement.

boater1234

I was just wondering if anyone has heard any news on these new suzuki outboards yet?Do they hold the same type of overall performance as all the other 20hp in it's class like the merctohatsu and the yamaha.I called a place to try and get some info and the marina i called said they were not overly impressed with it,thats only one opinion though.

If anyone has something to add about these new line of outboards please fell free to drop a line or two,thanks for any info.

I guess what it boils down to is this motor gonna perform as well as say a 20hp merc/tohatsu as that is probally were i'm headed if i don't hear anything on this motor.I'm gonna give the 4stroke a shot.I am only putting it on a 1436 crestliner thats rated for a 20hp so it should do very well with 1 or even 2 people.

boater1234

Still no word on this outboard yet.Someone has to have some type of input.I'm sure by now there has to be someone who has bought this outboard.

boater1234

Hey TG i was just wondering if you have any input on these motors yet or does anyone have one that they can share what they have noticed with it?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I still haven't run one yet, but, I should receive our first one in around the first of January. I think they might be what they are being hyped up to be:)

boater1234

Well that sounds good so far.I have seen a bunch on you tube go and they seem like great engines and have a ton of power.The thing is you can get exact feedback from someone like you who has the experience with outboards so you know what to look for and can get exact readings while other people on you tube guess their top speed and the power they feel with the motor.Thanks for the response and i can't wait to hear more info you gather.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

I think you should have an opinion if engine is good or bad over some time, new engines out of their boxes usually performs well. Do you know of any crappy Japanese product ? Suzuki makes excellent cars, motorcycles so outboards too. HP is measured at the prop so any 20 HP Tohatsu, Suzuki, Yam 20 will be rated same. One of the few issues I dislike from Suzuki portable engines is that their cowls are darn thin compared to other brands...

Happy Boating

boater1234

Well when i called onlineoutboards because they had them like right away the guy told me the merc and tohatsu same powerhead out performed the suzuki by far because of the cc difference.The only difference between the 2 is the suzuki is 327 cc's and the toh/merc is 351cc's.I can't see there being a huge difference can you sea rider or TG?I have never seen a bad suzuki yet either as far as outboards.It's going on a 1436 so i don't think pushing 2 people and gear should be any problem either way i go.I just used to my 25hp 2stroke merc that would bring tears to my eyes it was so fast,lol.I figure with the weight and gear i should be able to get at least 23 to 25mph,thats plenty for what i'm doing.Plus it's an extremely light motor at 97lbs.Man it comes with a 6yr warranty how can anyone beat that.Plus the price is just right.Maybe i will take a leap of faith.Worst case if i don't like it i can sell it right?Yea i may loose a few bucks but i can get close to the price if needed.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Since I haven't run one I can't say which one is X over the other. The only givens so far are the price, warranty and historical reliability of them. By price and history the Tohatsu is clearly the better buy. But, the warranty of the Suzuki is clearly more attractive. I'll call Chris at Online and see if he has actually run one yet.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

The merc and tohatsu same powerhead out performed the suzuki by far because of the cc difference.The only difference between the 2 is the suzuki is 327 cc's and the toh/merc is 351cc's.I can't see there being a huge difference.

I'm no engine engineer, if Tohatsu has a higher CC compared to Suzuki, assume both have different gear ratios and both should produce 20 HP at prop. A matter to perform a wot test with 2 same boat and factory delivered standard props and see who's the winner. Boater do you still have your old Merc 25 ? If so, why don't you save some $$$$ and pass your current 25 to 30 for under $8.00.

Or is it that you want to go smoke cleaner and environmentaly friendly with a 4 strokes ? 4 strokes requires more servicing and parts change than a 2 stroke. The weight difference between a Merc 25/30 to a Suzuki 20 HP is 7 Kg which is not that back breaker...

Happy Boating

boater1234

The 25hp merc was sold a long time ago.It would be way to much motor for my 1436.I had the 25 on my 1442 alumacraft and with 2 big people and gear was at close to 32mph.That boat barely touched the water it was so fast and a bit scary at times.I belive the 20hp merc/tohatsu or the suzuki would be the perfect fit for that 1436 i have.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The Suzuki has some bugs at the present time. I would wait a couple of months if you want to go with model as they should have a solution to the critter issue by then.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Non run condition out of the box on half of them...That's from two different dealers who have already sold some. Crap happens so I wouldn't be overly concerned long term. Theory is that it is a fuel system glitch and that it will be resolved soon. They don't have the holeshot of the Tohatsu either.