NO Spark #3 and #4 - Force 125

chrisnlbc

Cadet
Hey Guys,

Hoping for some direction here. I have a Force 125, 1989. It has no spark on #3 and #4 Cylinders.

Took it to a shop here local, they said it was a CDI Pack, wanted $900 to replace! I passed and said no thanks.

I found a complete Coil Pack and CDI Rack off Ebay from a running motor from a Marine Shop. Swapped it out last night, double checked all wires. Fired it up, same thing:mad: No Spark #3 and #4 Cylinders.

So today, I am borrowing a DVA meter from a friend, and going to test the Stator. Am I going in the right direction? Thats all thats pretty much left right? Any tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated. Im pulling my hair out on this one. THanks!

Chris

Jiggz

Captain
Re: NO Spark #3 and #4 - Force 125

You are in the right direction. If you do not have sparks on 3 & 4 swap the CD modules making sure you picture the wirings and write down all the original connections. Now test again. If the spark moves to 3 & 4 and lose it on 1 & 2 then you know the module is the culprit.
If the spark is still present in 1 & 2 but still missing on 3 & 4 then you know it is not the cd module. The next step is to check for the stator power going to the modules. There are two sets of yellow and blue wires each set goes to each module. Check the output of the wires (yellow and blue) going to the CDM feeding 3 & 4 plugs. Cranking voltage should be around 180~200 VAC if there is voltage then the problem could be in the trigger. The voltage output of the trigger wires (Red/white and Green) feeding the 3 & 4 CDM is really low 0.5~4.0 VAC. If there is still voltage in the trigger output, then time to swap the ignition coils one at a time.

chrisnlbc

Cadet

HI Jiggz, thanks for the info. As I mentioned I put on 2 Working CDIS and 4 New Coil Packs off a running motor, so I eliminated any coil or CDI issues.

Could you claify this sentence: Cranking voltage should be around 180~200 VAC if there is voltage then the problem could be in the trigger.

Did that mean to say if there is NOT voltage, then the trigger could be issue?

THanks again for your help!

Chris

Jiggz

Captain

That is correct. If there is voltage coming off the stator (180~200 VAC from each set of blue and yellow wires) then the cause could be the trigger. The function of the stator is to provide electrical voltage to CDM which charges a capacitor and held charged until a signal from the trigger is received and then discharges the CDM to the ignition coil which in turn transforms the voltage to around 22K volts to create a spark. So the CDM needs two electrical soucres, one is a trigger while the other one is the electrical potential. Both has to be present for it to work.