Wiring harness question

jimh6278

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Purchased a 1980 motor, Model # E70EL CS A, SN # J0001594, with a set of controls. The previous boat must have been really long because the control cable and wiring harness are at least 6' longer than i need for my trihull. I can wrap the control cables in a loop and hide them under the motor splash well without any severe bends or crimps. Will require a new access hole and boot in the splash well but no real problem. I can probably do the same with the wiring harness but it would be pretty easy to take out 5' or 6' and splice color to color using crimps. Question - is there a problem that I don't see in doing this. The red plug will still be in tact and the splice will be secured and hidden under the gunnel area.

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Wiring harness question

Due to cable play and resistance, do not use longer shift and throttle cables than needed!! As for the electrical harness, open the control and 'shorten' it inside. Better than cutting off in the middle and have splices that may create problems later.

CoffeeHound

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wiring harness question

Purchased a 1980 motor, Model # E70EL CS A, SN # J0001594, with a set of controls. The previous boat must have been really long because the control cable and wiring harness are at least 6' longer than i need for my trihull. I can wrap the control cables in a loop and hide them under the motor splash well without any severe bends or crimps. Will require a new access hole and boot in the splash well but no real problem. I can probably do the same with the wiring harness but it would be pretty easy to take out 5' or 6' and splice color to color using crimps. Question - is there a problem that I don't see in doing this. The red plug will still be in tact and the splice will be secured and hidden under the gunnel area.

Short term solution -- chop to fit !! Long term solution coil and hide. It is your boat so do it the way that bests suits you if your going to keep the motor and cables for ever and ever or if your going to sell the boat fully set up .

Nothing worse than buying a motor with cable and controls that are too short for a boat.
Cables are not expensive but the control cable will break the average boaters bank !! BTDT !!