ESA is not working

AndyinTN

Recruit
Gents;

I have an 89 5.7L OMC Cobra that recently began to be nearly impossible to shift out of gear. I first explored for a bound cable, but they all work nicely. In that exploration; on the back side of the shifter control lever I found what appeared to be a broken and jumped switch of some type. My electronic shift assist is not working. I manually checked that, and changed nothing. Could the jumped whatever on the back side of the shift lever somehow be related to the ESA not working? My Clymer manual mentions something about a shift interrupter switch on its wiring schematic. Could that be what that is?

I'd rather do more diagnostics than blindly replace the ESA module only to have it keep hard shifting.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks!!!

AndyinTN

Recruit
Re: ESA is not working

I forgot to mention, that the linkage is working properly for the ESA. I tested it by hand with the engine at idle and the rpms did not drop. The module itself didn't appear to have continuity when I tested it for that. Normally I'd immediately think replace the module, but I'm very curious as to the function of the bypassed switch on the back side of my shift lever.

Thanks!

AndyinTN

Recruit

I'm repaired. It was the ESA module.

The switch behind the throttle lever is a neutral safety switch. Will fix that when I find the part.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Glad you got that worked out. This was becoming a very one-sided conversation.