Curious about longevity....

I realize that doing proper maintenance and taking care of your boat has a lot to do with it but I was wondering if there is any such thing as a normal life expectancy for an outdrive and engine? I understand that people don't post on this forum just to say everything is hunky dory but it seems to me that there are an awful lot of unplanned events where a person ends up with an engine or drive that is toast. Is that something that is not completely unexpected?

Matt

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Curious about longevity....

Most of the time motors don't wear out, they die a more sudden death from something else, stuck thermostat, bad water pump, lack of oil, plugged carb, water in the fuel, lack of use, lugging (wrong prop), corrosion, plus some others.

robert graham

Admiral

I believe that a well-maintained freshwater outboard motor should last for 20, 30 years or more, providing it's fed clean, fresh fuel all the time. A saltwater motor probably just not going to hold up to that corrosive saltwater environment as it would in freshwater. I bought my Yamaha 90C new in 1999 and it looks and runs pretty much like brand new, but I do take care of it. With the high prices of new motors, careful preventive maintenance makes good sense to me.;)

tpenfield

Staff member

I have an engine / outdrive that is 21 years old . . . So I'll have to let you know how long it lasts.

It did a valve job on the engine last fall, due to one of those 'unplanned' events. I hope things remain 'uneventful' for a while.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I believe that a well-maintained freshwater outboard motor should last for 20, 30 years or more, providing it's fed clean, fresh fuel all the time. A saltwater motor probably just not going to hold up to that corrosive saltwater environment as it would in freshwater. I bought my Yamaha 90C new in 1999 and it looks and runs pretty much like brand new, but I do take care of it. With the high prices of new motors, careful preventive maintenance makes good sense to me.;)

I was going to say a well maintained salt water motor will last 30-40 years. Sorry to hear about the fresh water causing problems.

(We are both talking about outboards, which is the topic for this forum; the OP was asking about I/O. Wouldn't know about them).

i have found that if there is no catastrphioc event such as an overheat or sinking, the electrical parts start faiing one by one, and it is the aggravation that gets you to replace the motor. Same as with cars.