DB Electrical Starter really whines

phileepo

Cadet
I just replaced my starter with one from DB Electrical. It works but really whines loudly, is that normal?
Also, they said the 11 tooth would replace the original 9; it is working...but just freaks me out a bit.
Also, there was this kind of soft foamy, rubbery thingy with the bolts that fit over the snout and looks like it covers the gap in the flywheel cover, I put it on, was this right?

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: DB Electrical Starter really whines

Exactly what are you working on?

You probably need to shim the starter. Go to an auto parts store and buy a pack of starter shims. It will take a bit of trying different shims to get the proper clearance. I bolted up my DB starter with the shims I had under my old starter and it worked perfect, nice and quiet.

phileepo

Cadet

You probably need to shim the starter. Go to an auto parts store and buy a pack of starter shims. It will take a bit of trying different shims to get the proper clearance. I bolted up my DB starter with the shims I had under my old starter and it worked perfect, nice and quiet.

We're working on a 165 hp merc 250 inline 6. So it shouldnt whine?
Ugh, this is how this all started, me asking about shims and was told no shims, but i suppose since it is aftermarket.

oldjeep

Admiral

Call DB and ask them about it. I've had great luck with their starters, alternators and winch motors

phileepo

Cadet

You nailed it Dan! One shim and it works fine now. Wow was it noisy when I first tried it though. I was ready to shoot it. Glad I didn't, I would have to just fix it more then. Fishing tomorrow morning, whoo hoo!

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had to jump onto the post. I have the same issue, only its not a new starter, but new motor. I bought the starter last year and was on my now blown engine (only about 15 hours of use since the new starter). When I put it on the rebuilt motor, she whines like crazy. I'm going to try a shim after work today.

phileepo

Cadet

I had to jump onto the post. I have the same issue, only its not a new starter, but new motor. I bought the starter last year and was on my now blown engine (only about 15 hours of use since the new starter). When I put it on the rebuilt motor, she whines like crazy. I'm going to try a shim after work today.

I got a pack from autozone of GM shims there were like two sets in the pack, 3 that were identical with two holes and about 5 taped together with slots on one side and a hole on the other. I used just one from the three identical ones with holes and it worked fine after that. Went great all day today on the water, except I hit some rocks with my prop, but that wasnt the starters fault.

fishrdan

Admiral

I bought the starter last year and was on my now blown engine (only about 15 hours of use since the new starter). When I put it on the rebuilt motor, she whines like crazy. I'm going to try a shim after work today.

Yup, shim it. Different block, different spacing for the starter, very small difference that could put the starter too close to the flywheel.

You should use new starter bolts too, they are knurled to make them fit snug. After a couple of uses the knurls wear down and the bolts will be sloppy....

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I ran out of daylight last night, but was able to get (1) .060 in at cranked her up... same whining.

Prior to shims, I replaced the starter with a spare I had. I did notice on the one I took out burrs on the nose of the starter indicating the flywheel is hitting the starter.

I will be back at it Sat morning. I'm going to have to add more shims, and get new bolts. I will try another .060 and take it from there.