setting timing on vintage obs with a timing light?

nwcove

Admiral
can you set the timing on the oldish ob's with a timing light? if so.... is it worth spending the money on one if you only dabble with them for a hobby? ( saw one on sale for $60, a very basic unit)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: setting timing on vintage obs with a timing light?

Guess what you mean by "vintage"?

If you are referring to the 50s vintage, no. Best tool to get is a timing fixture. PM F_R on this forum, he makes them. Best tool in my box. Never mess with feeler gauges again.

nwcove

Admiral

Guess what you mean by "vintage"?

If you are referring to the 50s vintage, no. Best tool to get is a timing fixture. PM F_R on this forum, he makes them. Best tool in my box. Never mess with feeler gauges again.

am referring to the 1950's rbm's, and will check with F_R, to see if thats a cost effective option to dial the timing in. ( put an all new new ignition in a 7.5 last night, and spent some extra time "playing" with the multi-meter and points adjustment, and wow, it doesnt take much to move the timing off the marks...by alot more degrees than i thought!)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You would be surprised how far off you can be using feeler gauges. Unless you are spiderman. More important is getting them to fire exactly 180 degrees apart, which is easy with the fixture. Makes idle nice.

Just a note, do not loosen the mounting screw when adjusting the points, it only makes it harder. It is not necessary.

You probably know this, but just posting for others.