Please Help with Quick decision

Stangiller

Cadet
hey everyone, Im about to purchase a 16Ft Bayliner with a 85 Force engine. Good condition just needs a new starter which he will take care of . hes giving a great deal so i think . 1000 bucks all papers for trailer and boat r there . for the most part the Deck is firm n has no soft sports .. Its very very clear he seems like he takes good care of it . Anyways my Question to you is this.

im going to be taking this boat out on the bay once maybe maybe maybe 2 times a month . i will not be going into open waters . even tho he is giving me navi and the depth finder and new radio . its just gonna be around bay area. Coney island and possily around New york city and Statue of liberty thats about it . Just fishing n little cruise here and there is a 16fter tooo small for a first time buyer , Never had a boat b4 . Max 3-4 hours per time on the water .

What do you guys think Please answer as i wanna make my decison by the weekend .

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Please Help with Quick decision

I think the 16 footer is a great size for a beginner boater. That said, all I can picture where you are intending to go with this boat is what I've seen on tv, , never been to NY, , personally I think that boat will be a little under sized. There are some sizable boats in that bay isn't there? Big boats can put off big wakes. I think back to when I had a 16 ft Lund and I was on the Mississippi river over taking a SLOW barge, , the tug was under full power really putting out some prop wash, , it was a bit daunting to say the least. If you said you were going to go to some inland lakes, 800 to 3000 acre in size I'd say go for it!
Can't beat the price. Just make sure the transome and the hull are solid, if you get a soft spot in the deck, well then your only into it for a grand. I think those 85 hp forces were pretty good motors, not at all built like a Johnson/Evinrude or Merc but for the average boater they will last a long time especially if you take good care of it. Use good 2-cycle oil, gear lube and grease and you should be fine.

Stangiller

Cadet

My biggest fear would be other boaters putting off big waves. Water getting into the bow seems like a disaster.( Naming the boat S.S BLOOP BLOOP then ) around NY we have tons of ships as well Carnival cruisers come through the ports and that could be a huge problem correct? i dont want to spend tons on a boat. Im only going on the water once or twice a week . Max ! id like a throw away boat. if it lasts me 2 seasons thats 1000 well spent. should i go bigger or should i stay away from Bow riders all together

foodfisher

Captain

Do it "IF" the engine performs on a test run. Then you can decide bigger or not. $$$$

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

WHAT Year is it?????? What maintenance has been done? Can you bring it to Jamaica Bay and test it out with a proper 1/2 hr water test?

I grew up boating in the Bay and had a place in Breezy Point. 16' is okay for the bay but hairy for any real open water....... a bow rider is okay but I also recommend a bow cover for the rough days. Inside of Jamaica Bay and the 16' will be fine.

Stangiller

Cadet

Its a 87 as far as the maintenance I'm not 100% sure about I'm going to see it this weekend. He lives in Long island . I don't know if he would be willing to bring the boat to Jamaica Bay. but Possibly something could be work out between us to go and see it. Id be willing to pay you for your time. I will purchase bow covers. as well for those choppy days. Do you think this bow would be ok going down the lower bay area into Jersey Keyport Area ? Cause we calculated the cost to dock the boat in brooklyn and they want to much . however we have a home that we can store the boat in and our local marina ( which is .5 of a mile away from my house) and they will let us drop the boat into the water for free. would commuting from Jersey Keyport area up the bay be safe as well , or would that be considered open waters

JoLin

Vice Admiral

for the most part the Deck is firm n has no soft sports ..

What does that mean? If the deck has ANY soft spots, there's a good chance that the transom and stringers are compromised as well. I would be very, very careful of any 30-year-old boat, motor and trailer combo that 'only' costs $1000. It might be a great deal, but odds are against it. If you don't know how to determine hull integrity, please find someone that does.

Good luck!

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

for the most part the Deck is firm n has no soft sports.

yup, saw that also. You really need to check and recheck the boat for soft decks/stringers/transom. Like stated before, a soft spot on the deck is usually a sign of other problems. The other thing is you need to be able to water test this boat before buying. Not just run in a barrel or on a hose. You can not tell if a motor is running properly when it has no load on it. Check these things out. A $1000 "great" deal can turn into almost a total loss with that boat/motor combo.

I usually don't like seeing the words 80's bayliner, force, 16', bowrider, bay, large boats, and first boat in the same sentence. Whatever you get, just be careful, plan ahead, and have all the safety equipment and know how to use it.

Good luck with your boat hunt

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

87 was not a stellar year for b-liner's and the construction was still iffy. A soft spot anywhere on the decking is a sign of rot below the deck which is severe cancer to a boat.

Going from Coney Is to Keyport could be a one way trip........ just an example....... you go across and the weather changes just a bit and you might have a tough time getting back.

Seriously, I would be looking for at least a 19' boat with a V bottom and closed bow. I am not a fan of the Force motors at ll either. I am sorry to rain on your parade but, I would pass on this one.

The other possibility which could help you is to keep an eye on CL and look further away from home. The further North you look (such as upstate) the better the boats will be as well as the prices. I live 40 minutes from Lake George and this area is not bad.

Buying an older bayliner with a force motor is similar to burning up $1000 on a BBQ grill just to see the fire. In the end you will little or NO enjoyment with it.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

you are going in the right direction for a starter boat where you are; you have to know its limitations and learn how to handle adverse conditions you may encounter. A 16' 25 year old boat well maintained all titles for $1000 is not a bad deal. And your hull may be OK.

Here's your decision point--you are buying a risky motor. If you have trouble, you have to dump it--no more $$ into that motor. is that OK?
Second is that it's a bowrider-- a terrible design for your waters. My waters are like yours. You would do better with a tri-hull or other set-up. A 17' whaler. Also the older starcraft aluminum boats with a bow-rider interior had a seaworthy hull. I had 2 of them growing up and went all kinds of crazy places in crazy conditions indluding 10 miles out in the bay. Used to go hunting for yacht and tug boat wakes to jump. See if you can find one.

Stangiller

Cadet

I actually decided going bigger is a much safer bet for me right now. I still would like to have a starter boat something that i can through away after a little I did come across a gentlemen in his 60's at a local marina who is willing to sell me his Bayliner Cierra sunbridge 21" Ft. Its running and he has taken me out on the water for a good 20 min or soo. ( Much bigger boat tho. ) never driven a boat, this may be too big of a starter . Also that is an i/o V8 engine which i was advised as a first boat not to go with . ( harder to fix)

Are there any pro's and con's to this boat that i should know about .

It has a Cabin inside and comes with tons of gadgets Bathroom, Refridge, sleeping space and much more. Is that to much for me ?

he wants 2K but its an 84

Pic Below

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee493/stangiller/photo-6.jpg

Last edited:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

well that's a totally different direction than your first one. It depends on your intended use.

Comparing the first two is like comparing taking a jeep or an RV on vacation.

Cabins sell a lot of boats. Many of the people who buy them never really use them. You have to take a close look at what you will do. I can tell you this, though; if you plan to take friends and family out in the daytime, no one rides in the cabin. Ever. How many bodies can you squish into the back of the boat? That's your real capacity.

Stangiller

Cadet

I see what your saying 4 to 5 people max is what i will be taking with me . after tons of Help im finding my self stuck in the middle, the bow is excatly what im looking for in a starter it has that open bow in the front and has no wasted space. but then its a really small boat n if im going to be on the bay and i will be passing a Carnival cruise ship or any other big big boat that could cause problems .

on the other hand the sunbridge is a great looking boat. your correct i would prob never use the cabin . and its a very very big boat and that would require me to dock the boat in a marina . where the bow rider i can keep in jersey n just cross the bay into New york and not pay any storage fee's . But if water gets really choppy that may be a huge concern getting back in a small 16 Fter

JoLin

Vice Admiral

You make me a little nervous. I understand that you want to get out there, but this 'scattergun' approach to boat shopping will probably bite you in the butt. You're brand new to boating, you're choosing the cheapeast examples you can find, then asking... 'okay, how about this one?'

IMO, you need to focus a little. You went from a 16' bow rider to a 21' cabin job. What kind and size of boat do you want and need?

Here we have another Bayliner from the '80s, and nothing about how it's powered. Mercruiser, OMC or Volvo-Penta? Which engine? Is it a GM block or a Ford block? Does the owner have service receipts? When were the outdrive bellows, water pump impeller, manifolds and risers last replaced?

And no, 21' is not too big to start. That's where I started .

jkust

Rear Admiral

One of my boats is a 1980's 16 foot Bayliner with an 85 hp engine but the difference is we (my dad) bought it new from the boat show. The quality is only as good as the owner. When I was a teen in the 80's up at the cabin, my friend and I would play a game of hitting our own wake in order to get the entire boat and motor and prop out of the water at full speed which is low 40's. Out of that story take away that the boat is so light that A. it will hit the low 40's with only 85 hp and B. it is so light even with two boys in it that it can break completely free of the water on an inland lake. My point is that the boat weighs 1050lbs and I would suggest you go bigger and heavier for your intended use. I will say that it was the funnest boat shy of my hydroplane that I have owned.

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I spent 20 years in Hudson River in and around NY Harbor, My 19 ft deep vee was nearly swamped quite a few times, and my larger 26 ft cruiser required running with wipers on quite often. There are some BIG wakes out there... IMO anyone new to boating thinking about 16 ft with a force OB mixing it up with tugs, barges, tankers, sightseeing lines and commercial ferry traffic should think twice. At least take a coast Guard safety course so you can understand the rules of the road..breaking down out there can be a harrowing experience. Also a force is really a low cost (at the time) basic pre-mix simple carbourated starter engine, sort of DIY made to be fixed on the spot, ran one about three years in the local lakes here in GA. Best day in my like when I got rid of it..The pre-mix likes to foul plugs after prolonged low speed and idle running, lower unit ground itself up for no reason, hitting a submersed log sheared key on flywheel, not the prop . That's my opinion, others may have had better luck

NYBo

Admiral

Bobdec is absolutely right, IMO.
This thread is d?j? vu all over again.:facepalm:

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

I would stay away from the 16 footer for many of the same reasons stated here especially for your intended use in the NY harbor.
If that 21 ' Cierra was well maintained, and if it passed an inspection by someone qualified to do that for you, that might be a great boat. But it all depends on what you want to do with it!
Joe

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Just looking at the title of your post, NEVER make a quick decision when buying a boat. Almost always, Boats + Quick Decisions = Disappointment & Wasted $$$.