Fuel Contanimation

psmess

Cadet
Just bought a used boat that had engine problems. Found out the problem was fuel contamination in the tank. I'm baffeled as to what it could be. The tank looks like it is galvenized steel, and there is no rust on the outside. The impurity looks like a fine tan-ish/white-ish dust. It was getting past both fuel filters and causing problems. Any ideas on what this could have been? I hope it doesn't reappear after I purge the tank. ( it is nearly impossible to see inside the tank, let alone remove from the boat.)

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Fuel Contanimation

Tanks can be cleaned.<br /><br />But you started with 'just bought a new boat'. Why isn't the dealer doing something for you ?<br /><br />DHP

Bondo

Staff member

Sounds like Beach Sand..........

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Putting 2 and 2 together after reading your other post, you have an AQ260B Volvo, so it's not a NEW boat, maybe new to you but it's been around awhile.<br />Assuming you found this "fine tan-ish/white-ish dust" in the carb which is why you said it got past 2 filters, my guess it's aluminum corrosion from water in the carb. Water gets past the filters, then sits in the carb for a long time and causes corrosion. Water in fuel tanks is a common problem with boats, leaks through the vents, fuel fills, condensation, you name it. If the filters aren't changed regularly and checked for water, water build up till it overpowers the filters and you have water in the carb. It sits in the bottom and corrodes. While the gas above the layer of water keeps the boat running.<br />Aluminum corrosion is a fine white gritty dust.

ed/il

Petty Officer 3rd Class

get a racor filter. You could get electric pump run fuel through the filter back into the tank. Monotor the clear bowl for water and trash. After an hour or two it should be all filtered. Never tried it but i think it would work.

Rock Hall

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry to butt in on the thread. I have boat with a full 60 gal fuel tank that has been sitting for about 18 months. It has been recommended to me that I empty the fuel and fill with fresh. I guess I will be siphoning the fuel out. I'm assuming the water, if present will lay on the bottom of the tank. How important is it that I get every drop out? The fuel has had Stabil added twice. Once each Fall.<br /><br />Mark

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Start a new thread with your problem Mark, no reason to change subjects in this thread.

psmess

Cadet

Sorry about the confusion, you are right Don, the boat is new to me but VERY used...it's a 74 chris craft. anyways, there was contaminant in the carb bowl, but i have since overhauled it. the contaminant is definitely coming from the fuel tank. i have already siphoned the gas out and there appears to be hard brown crud on the lower surface area of the tank. My only guess is that this boat sat for some time without running and whatever gas was in the tank congealed and hardend. as for the fine powder i assume it is also from this(unless the baffles are made of aluminum) what do you guys reccomend i clean the tank with? carb cleaner? i still hope to salvage the 50 gallon tank as it is nearly impossible to remove and otherwise good shape.

psmess

Cadet

Hey fellas, i verified that the source of the dust like substance is what i assume is congealed fuel on the lower surface of the fuel tank. its caked on there pretty good and is solid not waxy or greasy. does anyone know of any solvents that will dissolve this? will fuel eventually break it down? i realize this could mean plenty of fuel filter changes but i don't know what else to do. has anyone ever paid to have their tank cleaned?

Bondo

Staff member

its caked on there pretty good and is solid not waxy or greasy.
In My experince,........<br />Leave it Alone,....... It'll Stay Right where it Is..........