Long Shaft vs Short shaft?

Tvtrader

Cadet
I am looking at a 1981 14' Starcraft aluminum with a 28 hp spl motor.
As I look in the forums I see people trying to switch their shafts between long and short, or raising their transom
height to accommodate a motor.
What is the preferred type of shaft for this type of boat?

Thanks

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Long Shaft vs Short shaft?

It all depends on how the boat was made ie the transom height. If the transom is set up for a short shaft motor and you have a longshaft motor you and typically raise the transom mounts with a jack plate or by shimming the motor higher. If the transom was set up for a long shaft motor then you need a long shaft in most situations. I suspect your boat was made with a short transom but you would have to determine that. Do you have any reason to believe that the motor on it is not the right legnth?

Charger25

Recruit

well the top of the anti-cavitation plate should be even or slightly below the bottom of the boat, regardless of make of motor or boat.

Tvtrader

Cadet

It all depends on how the boat was made ie the transom height. If the transom is set up for a short shaft motor and you have a longshaft motor you and typically raise the transom mounts with a jack plate or by shimming the motor higher. If the transom was set up for a long shaft motor then you need a long shaft in most situations. I suspect your boat was made with a short transom but you would have to determine that. Do you have any reason to believe that the motor on it is not the right legnth?

I am going to see this boat on the weekend so I am trying to do some research.
From what I see about the motor it was only available in long shaft. some people are trying to convert it to a short shaft.
I asked the owner if the boat had the original motor and he was not sure.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As mentioned above the AV plate should be even with or slightly above the bottom of the boat. If it is then it is the correct motor for the boat. See how the boat handles and performs, it may already be set up fine.