Stuck in Forward - Reverse is forward and NO Nuetral

bfilips

Recruit
I have a 1997 Four Winns Horizon with a Volvo Penta 350 5.7 GLi engine and on Sunday I was pulling into my slip and went to reverse and the thing shot forward! I turned the engine off and let it sit, turned it back on and reverse worked ... I went back out and wanted to see if it would happen again. This time when I went to restart, the boat started in idle moving forward when it was in neutral. I then went to reverse it and it went foward again. I presume it's the throttle cable?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Stuck in Forward - Reverse is forward and NO Nuetral

Pull the plastic cover off the back of the drive, and have someone shift gears for you while you watch the shift mechanism. Does it go all the way into gear? Neutral should be straight across. The picture shows full in gear and neutral.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Shift mechanim.jpg
    Shift mechanim.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 4

bfilips

Recruit

Thanks, Don! I will check when I get home from work today (I'm new to the boating world).

bfilips

Recruit

Pull the plastic cover off the back of the drive, and have someone shift gears for you while you watch the shift mechanism. Does it go all the way into gear? Neutral should be straight across. The picture shows full in gear and neutral.

attachment.php

Thanks for your help, it ended up being the plastic piece on the shifter cable near the throttle that holds it in place that cracked - so, there wasn't anything holding it allowing it to work properly. Everything else is fine, but the diagram helped, I appreciate it.