Possible Re-Power

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm thinking of swapping out 125 Force for another (Mercury) brand ourboard on a 1989 Bayliner Cuddy 19'. Can someone answer the following questions?

1. What Mercury motors (if any) will mate to the Force controls, steering, wiring?

2. What is the shaft length for my 125hp (1251X9D)?

3. What is the weight for my 125hp?

I'm looking for a compatible motor for the easiest swap. I thought about a re-build but my block may have problems.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Possible Re-Power

Just went through a repower myself. After many years of fighting with two different Force engines, I switched to a merc and havent looked back. I do know the shift linkage will not interchange, but in my situation the steering did. My boat is an 89 Spectrum which I took the 85hp Force off and replaced with 80hp mercury. I'd imagine your steering would bolt up also, as I think there werent that many differences in the 85 and 125 models, other than the obvious hp rating, and #of cylinders.

As far as wiring, its pretty simple if you understand wiring schematics, then you can cross the two, or if your luck the new motor will have the harness with it and you just install it and go.

As far as the other stuff, do a quick google search and you should find what you are looking for.

Hope this helps a little bit, and I know Force/Chrysler outboards have kind of a cult following, but if your looking for a good, reliable engine that wont leave you paddling back to the launch, you cant go wrong with a mercury. Theres a reason so many boats that came equiped with a Force from the OEM are now powered by Mercs, OMCs, Yamaha, etc.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The only thing that will just swap over is another Force.
Steering is a universal thing.They all use basically the same thing.
The Bayliner /US Marine company.Used Force cause they were part of the same company.
You see a lot of other brands as a replacement cause they stopped making the Force in 99.
Also the newer motors are easier on gas.
The forces are a basic engine,designed to be dependable and easy to fix if needed.
There are all kinds of replacement parts all over the place if you wanna fix yours.
I guess I'm part of the cult! I like them as they usually run good.Just remember towing insurance is a great thing even with2 motors!!!

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for that.
One more question. On my 1989 Bayliner Capri Cuddy, Im not sure of the shaft length. The reason I need to know for sure is I found a 90HP Mercury 4 stroke with a 20" shaft for a decent price. I think my hull is considered a deep V. I have to know if the 20" shaft motor will work.
I'll do more research but if anyone knows for sure, please let me know. I'll measure the transon this weekend and hopefully determine length.