1969 Chrysler 45 hp - model 4546, reviving after sitting for 10 years

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, I posted in the main forum about the boat I'm getting for free but I guess I was too general (more likely people are sparing me from lecturing about getting a useless boat).

Anyways I'm helping out the fellow I work for and taking this boat off his hands before he moves, owned by his family since new so there is some sentimental value (hence him keeping it around sitting for 10+ years).

Motor/prop looks great cosmetically, he mentioned changing it from the old chrysler type tank? Said it rain fine and was tuned up before being put away and was put away with oil in the cylinders.

So I'm wondering what I should do before trying to start it, or should I try to start it to see if it's worth putting money into? I do have experience working on motorcycles, including my 79 KZ400, valves/carbs, simple things... not sure how much transfers.

I see a lot of guys joking on here about these Chryslers saying the best thing to do is just sink them lol, hope thats not true.

file-5.jpg

file-4.jpg

file.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1969 Chrysler 45 hp - model 4546, reviving after sitting for 10 years

Not true.
Good motors,
Compression check,spark check.
Change oil in lower.Impeller.
New gas lines and squeezie.
Clean carb.

foodfisher

Captain

Not sure where but iboats has post about
waking a sleeping motor or engine. Give it a search

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey thanks for the replies guys. I read that post in the past I believe, I'll have to try to find it again.

How difficult is the impeller? And are parts available? Everything else sounds easy enough, impeller is the only thing I know nothing about.

I've heard people mentioning the water pump too? Potentially replacing it? Is that overkill?

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Only one thing to add to jerry's suggestions, new fuel pump rebuild kit. That one has to be toast if it sat for that long. Its cheap and easy to do to top it off :)

tater76

Just replace the impeller unless the impeller housing is severely pitted inside. Its like $16 bucks, then add a fuel pump rebuild kit for another $8-12 bucks, new fuel lines and squeezie bulb.. thats the expensive part, probably $20-30?? Clean the carb with wd-40 and compressed air. I would also squirt TCW3 (two stroke marine oil) into the cylinders before startup, maybe a teaspoon full. However, I would check compression, and spark before you spend any money.

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just replace the impeller unless the impeller housing is severely pitted inside. Its like $16 bucks, then add a fuel pump rebuild kit for another $8-12 bucks, new fuel lines and squeezie bulb.. thats the expensive part, probably $20-30?? Clean the carb with wd-40 and compressed air. I would also squirt TCW3 (two stroke marine oil) into the cylinders before startup, maybe a teaspoon full. However, I would check compression, and spark before you spend any money.

I'm pretty sure I could get the parts for cheaper than the compression tester almost, I probably should invest in one... Never have even tested my '79 KZ400 motorcycle.

tater76

You can rent compression testers from most autoparts stores for free. Check for your parts here on iboats first, if you can't find them here and you have part numbers, type them into amazon.com. I find some screaming deals there sometimes. Don't worry about the carb kit. Clean it first, adjust the float properly, and set the mixture screw 1 to 1 1/4 out from lightly seated. If the needle below the float looks worn and the bowl seal leaks, then buy a kit.

foodfisher

Captain

Hey thanks for the replies guys. I read that post in the past I believe, I'll have to try to find it again.

How difficult is the impeller? And are parts available? Everything else sounds easy enough, impeller is the only thing I know nothing about.

I've heard people mentioning the water pump too? Potentially replacing it? Is that overkill?
Easy DIY if you follow instructions. Water pump/impeller - one in the same. Housing deserves a good look while you're there.

Last edited:

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Anybody have a link handy to where I can download the manual/parts diagram for this motor?

Thanks

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I finally picked up the boat, worried about transom flex (posted in the general section)... But also worried about the steering.

I don't have the key for the boat yet to try firing her, but it seems like the steering pivot is locked. The wheel of the boat turns the pulley system and you can see it try to pull the motor either way but she won't budge. Pushing on the motor won't budge it either (steering is still hooked up though).

I was wondering if there is some kind of steering lock on this motor, or worse it may be seized?

Thanks,

rickryder

Commander

This may help ya on the manual....http://www.4shared.com/zip/QWWFr2YC/ob2803.html

I would think the pivot shaft is rusted......disconnect the cables and try to move motor.....if it still wont move lots of Sea Foam Deep Creep on the pivot and let it soak......you might want to remove the zerk/grease fitting and spray some in there too.

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This may help ya on the manual....http://www.4shared.com/zip/QWWFr2YC/ob2803.html

I would think the pivot shaft is rusted......disconnect the cables and try to move motor.....if it still wont move lots of Sea Foam Deep Creep on the pivot and let it soak......you might want to remove the zerk/grease fitting and spray some in there too.

Thanks for the link!

Just disconnected the steering cables and the motor still won't budge, will try some WD40 maybe for now (have that on hand). Still have to find the time to grab the keys lol, as for the boat I'm worried about the transom flex.... Might tackle a rebuild or just look for a solid boat (since I have the trailer now, and assuming the motor fires).

rickryder

Commander

Not a problem Gryph....if you decide to try and fix up the boat post some pics and info on the resto board....we'll be happy to take you through the rebuild ;)

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well no luck getting the engine to budge, not even slightly. I sprayed WD40 in the two little holes that appeared to be on the shaft (one had a small allen key bolt, one a grease fitting), after that didn't work I ended up using the grease fitting to pump in some grease, no budge and now the fitting popped out. All of my manipulating has proven how weak the transom is I think though lol.

Getting a little discouraged, thought I'd be trying to fire the motor soon, but theres no point if it won't steer. It's so solid I keep thinking there's a lockout, but I guess it's probably just seized up wonderfully.

Not sure where to go from here on that front, kind of at a stand still.

tater76

Sometimes heat can be applied to the tube, but if you saw rust when you pulled the zerk's its time to replace the tube. However, if you need to redo the transom, then just pull the motor off. It will be much easier to work on the tube with it off the boat. If you just can't get it to budge, and it needs replaced, then look for parts motors to glean from. I will look and see if I still have any.

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I exposed the bottom of the tube tonight, took off the mount there and you can see the rust. Thing will not budge, I ended up wiggling the whole motor around trying to get purchase at the top of the tube under the power head, hope I didn't do any damage with all of the manipulation, but I'm thinking this motor may be more trouble than it's worth. Looks like my "free" boat doesn't really have anything of value lol.

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys.

So I ended up freeing the king pin, took lots of penetrating oil and hammering, I hammered from the bottom, mushroomed the hell out of the king pin and then ground down the shroom with my angle grinder. Sanded the king pin and relubed, got her back in and the motor turns free, due to the mushroom/grind the bottom of the kingpin is shorter than it was, but still functions fine.

The problem is that in the process of all this I broke the shift linkage, the "gear shift rod intermediate" to be exact was rusted into the coupler that connects it to the bigger threaded rod above. So that intermediate rod is now shorter, and the coupler is shot. Well I tried to start the motor anyway to see if it would run, and the lower unit is stuck in forward gear.... So the motor will try to start (it's in neutral), but then it's fighting the prop when turning over so won't fire...

My question is should I be able to shift the lower unit into neutral by pushing on the broken rod by hand? Or does it require more force, I'm concerned I have a lower unit problem on top of the broken linkage because I can't get the lower unit to leave forward gear, so then I'm wondering if it's worth trying to source the parts that are broken at all.

Appreciate you input,
Thanks