30 hp emergency flooding cure?

oldslowandugly

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My '85 Evinrude 30 hp suddenly quit running the other day. Plugs were wet so I swapped in new ones. Still no start. Then I noticed gas was dribbling out the carb throat as it cranked, like as if for every pulse of the fuel pump. Flooding. Luckily my friend was nearby and he towed me in. I rebuilt the carb but it was clean, no crud, no debris, no gum, and it runs fine again. But in retrospect I was wondering what I could have done to fix it right there on the water? There is no bowl drain except for the main jet plug. If I could have drained it, perhaps the float would have dropped, pulling the needle clear, and fresh gas maybe would have flushed whatever was holding the needle open, out. Any thoughts?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 30 hp emergency flooding cure?

Other than what you posted, there is not anything else short of overhauling the carb that I can think of that you could have done.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I agree with your ideas. Often that will dislodge whatever is holding the float valve open. Another possibility would be to unplug the gas line and run it till it runs out of gas (Of course, assuming it will run), then start with the usual fisrt start-up procedure. The advantage of this method is the vibration from running, as the gas level drops.

oldslowandugly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That was the problem, it quit and wouldn't start. The fuel bowl feed is above the fuel inlet, so even removing the line wouldn't drain it. I think next time I have it off I will install some sort of drain plug that can be reached easily.