Bad stator?

starkyb

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 1988 75 horse Mariner is not getting any spark intermittently. After running great it will suddenly cut off just crank when I try to restart it. I know it is getting fuel because it will eventually flood out. Does this sound like a bad stator?

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bad stator?

No ! could be a number of things check wiring first check manual if you don't have one check one thing at a time start with switch boxs and kill switch and so on

starkyb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok. I'm not sure where the switch boxes are or how to check them. It could be a coincidence but it just started Saturday after I put about 6 gallons of gas from the Villiage Pantry. I forgot to add sea foam, could I just have gotten some bad gas in it?

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok. I'm not sure where the switch boxes are or how to check them. It could be a coincidence but it just started Saturday after I put about 6 gallons of gas from the Villiage Pantry. I forgot to add sea foam, could I just have gotten some bad gas in it?

Yes it may be gas, put the gas in a big pan and let it set for two or three hr to see if there is water. You do not have to put sea form in your gas all the time. only if gas tank been setting for a long time and could get hot and cold. check for voltage , check I think www. CDI has check list .