shopping for next boat, need advice

jasona

Seaman Apprentice
Hello iboats,

I am starting my hunt for the next boat.
I currently have a 1991 Smokercraft Fazer 172 with 80hp Merc. I love the boat, but need something a bit bigger with more oomph. we fish, swim from it, tube with it and just cruise and enjoy the water.
we are a family of 4 with 2 elementary school age boys.
I am looking at fairly new boats, 18 foot range with padded sun decks and swim platforms..glastron, crownline etc.
my question: an 18' glasstron with a 4cyl is about 900 lbs lighter than an 18' crownline with a 6cyl. will the weight difference make up for lesser horsepower?
I need to weigh cost vs. usability you know? we don't live on water, we would trailer to a bunch of local inland lakes in SE Wisconsin.
Thanks for any advice.

slalomskiing31

Seaman Apprentice
Re: shopping for next boat, need advice

What would you tow it with? If the boat with the 6cyl. is near the top of your tow vehicles tow rating, the 4cyl. will be easier to tow. The 6cyl will have better resale when you are done with it. Also it is harder on fuel (obvious). I think the 6 cyl. will go faster, but the 4cyl is very usable and will push that boat along just fine!

jasona

Seaman Apprentice
Re: shopping for next boat, need advice

slalom,
i have a 4runner with a v6. i am safe towing either boat.
what do you have in your 2007 sea ray? i see you have that boat listed your descritption.
thanks.