Newbie needs transom repair advice and engine suggestions

TeamHighNoon

Recruit
I've been lurking on this site for a while and trying to study up on transom repair. I own a sign shop and traded out a couple of signs for a 1990 Mako 210 that use to be a Florida Fish and Wildlife boat. The engine and various parts have been picked. The hull seems to be in great shape and I hope to have it in the water by next summer. I have two questions. First, the transom seems solid, but with some obvious rot around where the outdrive was, I'm guessing I need to/probably should just replace the transom. Any thoughts on that, and what my next step should be, is appreciated. Second, I really wouldn't mind making it an outboard. I could add a couple of seats for the kids and free up room. I also see that new 200hp outboard Honda engines start at $12-$14k. Trying to keep the costs down (aren't we all), so should I stick with the I/O and look for an inexpensive used engine that drops in? Coming from a newbie, I appreciate all the help and advice in advance!

(2)Mako210.jpg
(3)Mako210.jpg
Mako210.jpg

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Newbie needs transom repair advice and engine suggestions

Your transom is positively bad. Probably need to check out the engine mounting stringers too. I'm afraid you may be in for an entire replacement of wood. Lots of help and info already on this forum. Do some searchs and see what your in for. Lot of work but it can be done and when finished its very satisfying. Stick with I/O. Difficult to convert to O/B.

TeamHighNoon

Recruit

Thanks for the help! I have a friend who has replaced his transom, and will get some help from him, but I wanted an outside opinion first. When you say an 'entire replacement of wood', do you mean with the transom and engine mounting stringers? Or am I looking at more? The floor seems solid, but I haven't popped the 'hatch' where the fuel tank is to look at those stringers (pardon me if I'm using the wrong terminology). I think I will stick with I/O as I don't need to add to the difficulty factor. I'm actually excited to tackle this and admire the work that a lot of people have done in the forums.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I agree, most likely there will far more rotten wood than you have found so far. The cost will be sort of high either way you go, I/O or O/B, but I/O will be cheaper. Expect to have around $10,000.00 into it before you are back on the water with an I/O.