How to beach a boat.

Ciscovet

Seaman
This might be a stupid question but bare with me. I never grew up with boats so this is new to me. Ever since I hit a submerged rock pile with my boat I am a little paranoid. I was able to pick up a gps/depth finder unit which has made me even MORE paranoid. In any case, I see that people will beach their boats or at least get them really close to shore. I was just wondering what steps people use to do this. DO you shut off the engine, lift the stern drive up and coast in? Do you push the boat back out to deeper water?

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How to beach a boat.

I beach on sandy bottoms. Slow approach, then when I am about to make contact with the beach I will trim up and coast in the last couple feet. Let the beach grab the boat and then I jump out with the anchor to secure the boat.

I prefer to stay a few feet offshore and just anchor, that way the bottom of your boat doesn't get sanded by the wave action. That isn't always possible with the crowded beaches though.

slalomskiing31

Seaman Apprentice

Make sure the drive unit has enough water to not hit anything while it is beached. Keep in mind when its loaded and wake hits it you will need even more clearance. The trouble with beaching your boat is that it marks up the hull, you might want to buy a keel guard.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

know your waters. When approaching an unknown shore, have one of your crew on the bow with the shove pole testing the depth and reporting. What, no shove pole???? Ok boat hook or paddle; surely you have one!

I have beached where my bow is on dry land and stern (17' boat) in 8' of water. I was at a beach pub Saturday where it was knee deep out 200 yards. Know your water.

Factor in littoral (sideways) current, wind, and wakes over the stern, especially if you stern anchor.

Replace your I/O with an outboard.

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class

All very good advice here.. I would stick with the suggestion of, if you can, anchor off-shore within in 'walking' distance.. I have to do this with my boat as i dont have power t/t, that and a lot less worry about damaging your hull or banging your skeg off something.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Next time I beach I'm ancoring out a couple of feet. Stern facing shore bow out trip up. Sunday there were way to many rock under my boat for comfort.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I will only moore it bow out, anchor it, flip out the ladder and jump out knee deep. That said, I see people cruise toward shore, lower the drive down as low as possible and use the prop and drive to stop them. Suprisingly they aren't all Bayliner owners.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I will only moore it bow out, anchor it, flip out the ladder and jump out knee deep. That said, I see people cruise toward shore, lower the drive down as low as possible and use the prop and drive to stop them. Suprisingly they aren't all Bayliner owners.

Unbelievable. No, not the Bayliner part. Some people just shouldn't have boats.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Unbelievable. No, not the Bayliner part. Some people just shouldn't have boats.

The killer thing was they were both matching Sea Rays, mid 2000's clearly friends with eachother with families in each boat. Even my wife was shocked. Like coasting into a parking spot and using the curb to stop your car. Funny things happen in Minnesota where everybody has a boat. After we saw that, a rental Larson pulled up, moored it and treated it like it was theres.