Low smoke oil

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer
Whats everyone running for 2 stroke oil that seems to have low smoke? I'm running just a marine grade oil I bought at Advance in a gallon jug, I believe its a yellow container. Not sure of brand, but its a name brand (oil is blue/green in color). My issue is the boat smokes like a chimney for a few minutes after startup. Once its been run for a while and warmed up, the smoke is not a real issue. The smoke at startup is enough to drift over the boat and choke you unless you can get moving right away.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Low smoke oil

Is that "marine grade" oil TC-W3 certified?
Is it outboard oil?
What engine are you using?
What fuel mix are you using?

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer

It is a 2 stroke marine grade oil, not sure if its outboard specific? Running 50:1 mix on a '79 85 Chrylser.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

If it doesn't say TCW-3 on the can don't use it. Has to be on there or its not TCW-III certified.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Any brand that certified at TCW-III is usually fine. Motor manufacturers don't make oil. They just buy it made to their specs. I think every motor manual I ever read said to use their brand and then in smaller letters they also said what spec oil is also approved. TCW-III is the newest outboard spec out there. All 2 strokes will produce some smoke. More at starting than running if the choke was used.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. I just use good old Pennzoil Marine TCW-3 2-stroke oil from Wally world. Even running 24:1, I only get a puff of smoke upon start up with the choke pulled, but once I'm underway there's virtually none. My 50+ year old 2-stroke smokes a lot less than a lot of motors I see on the water half its age. A good decarb using some Seafoam, or similar product, might help reduce overall smoking too. Of course, it smokes like crazy during the procedure itself, but should give you smoother, less smokey overall performance afterwards.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Marine-XLF-TC-W3-2-Cycle-Engine-Oil-1-Gal/16401577

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Amsoil will reduce the smoke if you really want less.You can also use less oil as it's designed to burn 100-1
Cost is probably gonna make you buy the cheap smokey oil anyway.A regular 10-30 is about 12$ so outboard oil is gonna hurt.

foodfisher

Captain

If it turns out you are using the right oil, cleaning the fuel recirculating system might help. Night and day for me.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Its the nature of the beast. Think about this for a second... gas evaporates over time right? does the TCW3?? Nope. So everytime you shut the engine down, and let it sit until the next outing your cylinders are more than likely coated with some oil. Not to mention the carb bowls. Upon the initial startup following, you will be burning a little more oil for a few seconds thus causing the annoying plume.