Toyota Starter Problems

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
For you guys with Tacomas, Tundras, RAV4s or other Toyotas havng trouble starting - you get the clicking at the solenoid but the engine won't turn over. Before you let the dealer or a service shop sell you a new starter motor, take a look at the solenoid. Apparently the Denso solenoids are prone to relatively early corrosion/erosion resulting in loss of electrical contact.

Instead of laying out $200-$350 for a new starter/solenoid combo or $90-$150 for a new solenoid (plus labor if you don't do it yourself) you may be able to purchase a new contact kit and "rebuild" your existing solenoid.

Here's a neat video showing how easy it is (once you actually get the starter out): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgGWQ02GtEk

As a result of a "no start" problem I pulled mine out today. Looked just like the one in the video. Cost me $40 at the dealer for a complete kit of contacts, bolts, gaskets, insulator pieces, etc. In mine, everything but the contacts was in good shape so I could have gone with one of the on-line order places that sells just the new contacts for about $10 apiece.

Starts perfectly now. What a relief, since the symptoms first started showing up while I was parked on the launch ramp, after retreiving my boat, with the tide coming in. Took about 5 tries to start it.