1988 15hp keeps dying, fuel?

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
newly aquired motor, had a problem that it wont shut off. have not replaced the pp yet.
question, motor runs then eventually will die like its out of fuel after about a five minutes or so. the ball gets soft, and i can barely see any fuel in the clear filter at idle. the motor then just quits like its out of gas. pump the ball and it fires.
it doesnt want to slow idle.
fuel pump?
i tried the ball with out connecting the motor and the ball gets hard, so the tank and primer should be ok?

motor seems like its low hours. the transom clamps have no chips in the paint and the motor was stored in a garage.
compression is 130 psi in both cylinders
fuel pump filter is clean
carb was pulled, and i just used some carb cleaner and a compressor to blow out the carb ( so should i give the carb a bath? )
new plugs
have spark, but it doesnt shut off
owner ran the gas dry everytime he used it.

why did the engineers make it so hard to pull the carb??

thanks

P1040113.jpg

P1040114.jpg

P1040111.jpg

P1040112.jpg

dino

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1988 15hp keeps dying, fuel?

Have you checked the stop switch to see if it is grounding the pack to shut it down?
Remove the fuel line on the pump that goes to the carb, pull the engine through a couple of times, do you get pulses of fuel out of the line, if so your fuel pump is working.
Do you have the carb with the plastic top on it, did you remove it and clean the passages in there. If you have the carb with the core plug on top you should have removed the core plug and clean the passages in there. Did you remove and clean all the orifices and passages in the carb?
If the engineers had to repair the engines there would be a lot of things different on them.

dkonrai

Have you checked the stop switch to see if it is grounding the pack to shut it down?
Remove the fuel line on the pump that goes to the carb, pull the engine through a couple of times, do you get pulses of fuel out of the line, if so your fuel pump is working.
Do you have the carb with the plastic top on it, did you remove it and clean the passages in there. If you have the carb with the core plug on top you should have removed the core plug and clean the passages in there. Did you remove and clean all the orifices and passages in the carb?
If the engineers had to repair the engines there would be a lot of things different on them.

Dave,
it looks like the wiring is all good, connection to the block seems tight, no corrosion. i will give the fp a try tomorrow, maybe get some of that clear hose i have been reading about.
yes i have the stupid plastic carb. guess i missed teh core plug, darn i will take off the carb again. just ordered a carb kit and fp kit. now its time to stalk the mail person,
thanks
dino

power pack
P1040123.jpg

P1040122.jpg

fuel pump side
P1040120.jpg

lower wiring
P1040117.jpg

dkonrai

water stains on the motor were from me barrel testing today. it was clean :)

dkonrai

update,
thanks it was the fuel pump and the carb needed cleaning. need to clean out the carb one more time, i think there is still some little peices of debris in the carb
dino

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Glad you found your problem.

kbait

Commander

Look very closely at the plastic carb cover. Any cracks radiating from the low speed needle entry point? If so, it'll never idle correctly (been there a couple times.. air gets in and runs lean w/lean sneeze at idle no matter how rich the needle setting). If cracked, replace cover/gasket. I imagine you could seal an existing cracked cover, but never attempted it myself. Do not over tighten air box upon re-assembly, and if the cam roller assembly bolts to that cover on your model, do not over-tighten that bolt either.

dkonrai

Look very closely at the plastic carb cover. Any cracks radiating from the low speed needle entry point? If so, it'll never idle correctly (been there a couple times.. air gets in and runs lean w/lean sneeze at idle no matter how rich the needle setting). If cracked, replace cover/gasket. I imagine you could seal an existing cracked cover, but never attempted it myself. Do not over tighten air box upon re-assembly, and if the cam roller assembly bolts to that cover on your model, do not over-tighten that bolt either.
thanks for the tip. carb cover looks really good. thinking about buying a cover for a spare. she idles pretty nice now!
dino