Going back home

Tyme2fish

Commander
[h=2]Going back home[/h]
I'm planning on a trip to Virginia where I was born, but not raised. Sadly,most of my Uncles have passed,but I still have one Uncle in the old home town and another Uncle just 2 hours away in Danville,VA and a slew of cousins.

I lived in this town in my 18 to 20 years of age and worked and lived there. It's not like I'm a complete stranger to the town or my kin.

I haven't visited the town in four years. That was when my Mother's only sister passed away, just a little longer after the year my Mother died.

I call my two surviving Uncles every month but my cousins seem to think I'm way out west here in Indiana and never ever call me.

OK.I'm feeling a little sad and morose now, but I sure miss those Blue Ridge Mountains and family.

Does any one else feel like an "outsider" when visiting their old home place?

My 45th high school reunion is this August and I don't think I'll attend. I'll have to travel all the way up to Plymouth,IN , a five plus hour drive, and I honestly don't really care. I keep in touch with a few select friends via e-mail or facebook and really don't give a hoot about the travel and expenses to see a bunch of 63 year old farts like me tottering around a banquet hall reliving old high school days.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Going back home

I've never left mine :facepalm:

And I've never gone to any of my reunions. Actually had some out of town friends stay with us for the weekend in order to attend one of them that I didn't attend :p I don't understand these people on Facebook that friend anyone they ever went to school with.

robert graham

Admiral

Wife and I were at my 50th High School reunion a few months back...75 of the 500 graduates have already died!....I do feel like a coot, geezer, fossil at times!...rest of the time, just old!....Sometimes I wonder if I even speak the same language as this younger generation!;)

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I was born a couple of towns over. Lived in this town since I was 5. I'm 33 now, married with a kid, and have a house I'm planning on staying in for a long time. I always thought I'd regret not living in different places, and maybe I will when I get older, but I'd have to say this is a great place to live. I live in a town called Rohnert Park. It's a small college town about 45 minutes north of San Fran. 40 minutes from the ocean, 20-30 from wine country (Napa, Sonoma, Dry Creek, Alexander Valley) Hiking, fishing, camping, and a ton of other great things all around here. Plus I'm a pretty sentimental guy and seeing my son grow up playing sports on the same fields I did will be great! Yeah, I went to college here. No high school reunions for me, since I took some test and didn't really graduate. I figure my post BA degree overrides that, but I'll always wonder what going to high school reunions is like. I'd like to see all of those people and show a few of them I'm not the loser dropout they most likely remember me as. I've been back to the house I was born in 2-3 times and it's always nice to see. I'd like to take my son out there and get a picture of the family in front of the house. Don't think the owners would mind.

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

[h=2]Going back home[/h]

My 45th high school reunion is this August and I don't think I'll attend. I'll have to travel all the way up to Plymouth,IN , a five plus hour drive, and I honestly don't really care. I keep in touch with a few select friends via e-mail or facebook and really don't give a hoot about the travel and expenses to see a bunch of 63 year old farts like me tottering around a banquet hall reliving old high school days.

LOL...I felt this way for my 10year High School Reunion and it was 7miles away. Who wants to relive high school! :)