Trolling Motor Battery Charging and Setup???

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking at adding a Minn Kota Terrova to my boat and a 2nd battery to help power it. I'd be running the trolling motor 24V off the starting and 2nd battery. Trolling motor use would be limited and not for extended periods of time, but I also carry a jump box for emergencies. Problem is that my boat is stored in dry storage, and I have no way to charge the batteries once the boat comes out of the water.

First Question: I'm wondering if I add one of these devices will this keep the batteries charged or is it a waste? http://store.minnkotamotors.com/products/419589/MK_2_DC_(2_bank) I figure that at least 50% of the time I would be using the boat without using the trolling motor (family stuff), and that during this time I could use this system to recharge the trolling motor battery.

Second Question: (assuming that an on-board DC charger would work) How would I wire the system with the above charger added?

Thanks!

Expidia

Commander
Re: Trolling Motor Battery Charging and Setup???

I checked the customer reviews over on Amazon for the MK product and there is only 1!
I think all it does is top off a battery probably best while running at higher speeds.

I know how annoying it is to not have an AC outlet to plug into when storing the boat.

Best suggestion I have is to get a small folding cart on wheels and pull the trolling battery out after each trip and roll it back to you car and charge it up as soon as you get home. I made one up for myself years ago using an old folding luggage cart and wire tied a plastic file crate onto the cart. Worked great for the years I needed it. If you go this route put some quick connecting battery connectors on so you can pop off the wires easier.

Check out the folding "Magna Cart" $29.99 on Amazon. iboats might have something similar too!

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trolling Motor Battery Charging and Setup???

Yea that's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just plan on hauling the battery on days that I'll be fishing.

Thanks for the reply!