1987 OMC 5.0 4BBL Sterndrive locked up

I have a similar story as most on this thread.............. Going across the lake (1st time out) and the boat just died, temp, oil everything great. Come to find out upper gear case was not filled with grease. In a previous post http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=558842 kwikkar stated he "I grabbed a 1 1/16 wrench (or what ever fits on the shaft broke it free) " Any thoughts or ideas on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

southkogs

Staff member
Re: 1987 OMC 5.0 4BBL Sterndrive locked up

That's a little gutsy - but if you've got an alternate plan I suppose you could try it. I think you're running a Stringer and your upper gear case comes off your outdrive real easy. I'd be more inclined to look for a new/use upper even over rebuilding it (I'm getting kinda' good at scrounging parts though). BTW - you don't fill the upper with grease, it's a gear lube you put in there.

That's a little gutsy - but if you've got an alternate plan I suppose you could try it. I think you're running a Stringer and your upper gear case comes off your outdrive real easy. I'd be more inclined to look for a new/use upper even over rebuilding it (I'm getting kinda' good at scrounging parts though). BTW - you don't fill the upper with grease, it's a gear lube you put in there.

Thanks!, I didn't mean to say grease, I meant gear lube LOL. But I guess my question is has anyone heard of "unlocking" the upper unit??? So anyway "New Guy Friend" said he would be happy to get my boat going (bought it and it was winterized) he has owned and is use to outboard bass boats and convinced me he knew I/O (to be specific my OMC Cobra). Well low and behold he didn't put gear lube in the upper unit "I didn't know it had one" he said. So I am looking for mercy upon my fellow boaters, please note I am a rookie boat owner (grew up on a michigan lake so know boating), female, recently divorced after 27 years (hubby decided to bat for the other side, no I am not joking) and am feeling very vulnerable on trusting people, OK men. That is why I came here, everyone seems to be helping everyone and it seems like great advise. So that's my sob story help me if you can.

southkogs

Staff member

Wow ... quite a back story! :eek: Hope you're coming through it all relatively well ...

I don't know the COBRA all that well, but I would be surprised if you can just "unlock" the upper. In most cases you've chewed the gears up. Have y'all drained the upper gear case? If so, did you see metal flakes in what little lube was in there?

There are replacement drives if it comes to that.

Do you know of any reputable shops close by? If nothing else, having a pro evaluate it might be a help if you're not mechanically inclined. As I'm learning myself, an outboard and an I/O are relatives but not twins ;)

Thanks for the feed back, I am doing well thanks for asking! Tonight I was able to separate the stern drive from the boat and I am happy to report that the engine is not locked up and the stern drive lube had no flakes! Going to look at the upper gear case tomorrow and am hoping that it breaks free, say a prayer! Thanks again for the advise and encouragement!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I think you're running a Stringer and your upper gear case comes off your outdrive real easy. I'd be more inclined to look for a new/use upper even over rebuilding it (I'm getting kinda' good at scrounging parts though). BTW - you don't fill the upper with grease, it's a gear lube you put in there.

Um, No. It's not a Stringer. If it's an 87, It's a Cobra and you fill it from the "FILL" port until it shows "FULL" with the dipstick resting (not screwed in) on top of the threads. Fill it any other way and you risk complete destruction.

Running a Cobra without oil in it (or the upper "dry") usually results in complete destruction so don't hope too much or you will be disappointed.

AND if you are able to "free it up", don't count on it running very long. (bring a paddle with you!)

Regards,

Rick

Thanks Rick for the post and feed back! It is fantastic to get responses from all! I will be very happy to report the findings tomorrow when we break it down, I must say my cup is always full so HAPPY THOUGHTS are always there! Thanks again and God Bless.

I do have an 1987 OMC Cobra 305 260 I/O 4BBL, she is as sweet as I am, and has as much gumption, LOL Pray for me my fellow boaters!

P.S. I have a degree in Industrial Engineering, Purdue Unv, class of 1985, which means I over evaluate everything LOL. No mechanical engineering, although " I do get it". Never under estimate the power of a woman, Gods Speed!

southkogs

Staff member

Um, No. It's not a Stringer....
Yeah, I caught that a little late (2nd post). I had the switch a couple years behind in my head.

Shannon, before you try to "break" it free - make sure you separate the upper and lower. You may have already planned on that, but would avoid the risk of damaging the lower while you're jamming away at the upper.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Save yourself some time, and pull the top cover off first (where the little dipstick is). The damage might be pretty evident when you get a look in there.

kwikkar

Cadet

Sorry it took me so long to respond. But yes take the cover off the top. Use a large adjustable or what ever size wrench it is then yank back and forth. If your lucky like I was mine broke free then I drained oil and refilled. Ran on muffs for 30 mins with no noise and no vibration. Ran for another 2 years like that and never had an issue. Now I did however change the oil 3 more times after this over the period of 3 weeks.
GOOD LUCK!!