tohatsu help needed

doc77

Cadet
Hi all,
I have a friend with an 06 tohatsu 50tldi, it refuses to start. The story behind it is the telltale stopped so he fitted an impeller, still not working so he asked the dealer where the thermostat was and they told him left side of engine half way down engine (compressor valve housing) so he removed cover found that it was not thermostat and refitted cover. Ever since then, engine would not start. He called me and I replaced valve in compressor (was not holding/building pressure) checked fuel pressure, checked spark, checked compression, removed fuel rail and ensured injectors were spraying, got some aerostart and engine started but stopped when I stopped spraying. I drained fuel system and refilled with premium (just for my own piece of mind) and retried, still no start without aerostart.
It has fuel spark and compression so at this point I'm lost and need advice on where to look
Cheers in advance
Doc

dtj

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: tohatsu help needed

He's back................

pvanv

Admiral

Hi all,
I have a friend with an 06 tohatsu 50tldi, it refuses to start. The story behind it is the telltale stopped so he fitted an impeller, still not working so he asked the dealer where the thermostat was and they told him left side of engine half way down engine (compressor valve housing) so he removed cover found that it was not thermostat and refitted cover. Ever since then, engine would not start. He called me and I replaced valve in compressor (was not holding/building pressure) checked fuel pressure, checked spark, checked compression, removed fuel rail and ensured injectors were spraying, got some aerostart and engine started but stopped when I stopped spraying. I drained fuel system and refilled with premium (just for my own piece of mind) and retried, still no start without aerostart.
It has fuel spark and compression so at this point I'm lost and need advice on where to look
Cheers in advance
Doc

Your friend has no clue. Unless the wp was completely shot, odds are the telltale was just plugged with salt and/or debris. Never do just an impeller; do the complete wp kit: same labor, and a slight additional parts cost... lasts 2x as long, and pumps better. Assuming you have an MD50B (you didn't say, and year is irrelevant for servicing Tohatsu/Nissan outboards). The Stat is at the top of the head. Has Nothing to do with the telltale, BTW. The telltale indicates cooling system pressure at the motor base. Start with the Factory service manual (would have located the thermostat immediately, for example -- without the manual, you will be lost for sure). Read out the ECU memory to see what it might say. (Did the motor ever overheat?) STOP using ether-based starting fluid, or risk cracking a ring. Did you check air pressure and fuel pressure? What were the readings?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Stop trying to work on the engine. Take it into a different authorized dealer and let them run the on-board computer diagnostic on it to determine the problem. This is not an engine that a back yard mechanic should touch...DFI outboards need to be worked on by the guys that already know what they are doing. I'm not implying that you are stupid. Its just that this model does require a tech basis that you do not have access to.

doc77

Cadet

OK
I know the thermostat has nothing to do with telltale, I was letting you all know what started this mess.
After the owner fitted wp & played with compressor, he called me.
The delema we have here is the authorised dealer has a 1st hr apprentice, a jet ski mechanic & boiler maker, the nearest/next dealer is 340km south (210 miles) 390km north (245mile).
The aerostart was being used to ensure engine would actually start, as it started and I've seen fuel spray from injectors, I would be thinking bad spark.
Self diagnostics were checked and cleared (no codes logged but cleared anyway). I just thought I could get another opinion on possibilities or another direction as its easy to get a "mind set" on something and look past other possible issues.
Cheers

pvanv

Admiral

OK
I know the thermostat has nothing to do with telltale, I was letting you all know what started this mess.
After the owner fitted wp & played with compressor, he called me.
The delema we have here is the authorised dealer has a 1st hr apprentice, a jet ski mechanic & boiler maker, the nearest/next dealer is 340km south (210 miles) 390km north (245mile).
The aerostart was being used to ensure engine would actually start, as it started and I've seen fuel spray from injectors, I would be thinking bad spark.
Self diagnostics were checked and cleared (no codes logged but cleared anyway). I just thought I could get another opinion on possibilities or another direction as its easy to get a "mind set" on something and look past other possible issues.
Cheers

Elvin is quite correct. The blind leading the blind have made an OK motor not run, and you have been sucked into the fray. Best bet is to see a dealer. But... do you even have the Factory manual? Even an expert tech wouldn't attempt to Dx the problem without one.

Again... now that you have determined that the air compressor has been disassembled/reassembled, what are the air and fuel pressures?

doc77

Cadet

OK, mate took it to the dealer as per your advice (did not have pressure gauge myself) and they done nothing to diagnose issue, they took the mate word of everything that happened & had been done then went straight to the compressor. They have ordered new compressor because there are a couple of small marks in the bore.
I'll let you know if it works.
Cheers for the input

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I'm even more scared. What retarded dealer did not run the on-board diagnostics?

doc77

Cadet

That's why we did not want to take it there. They have 2 apprentices and a jet ski mechanic, the older apprentice done his first year tafe(college) and the teacher called the dealer owner & said get rid of him cause he will never make a mechanic.
Now how scared are you

pvanv

Admiral

Have them run the OB diags. If they need help, have them call Tohatsu America for assistance. What is your ZIP code?