Old mercury

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is a 1950 super5 How do I get the plate I front the impeller off there is two holes in it do I need a specal puller or is it threaded in if so would it be lefthand thread also can I get this impeller at my local merc dealer or should I go to oldmercs.com

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Old mercury

They do make a tool for that and I think I saw one in a thread here not long ago. I had an older Merc and was able to modify a spanner wrench to make it work. You should be able to find that impeller or a comparable replacement.

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So it is threaded on the super5 I had thought it might just pull out and may I ask what's a spanner wrench something like what you use for removing grinder discs

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yea Shane7, that would be a good way to describe it.

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class

This may be it here:

waterpump old merc tool.jpg

this is also a test to see if i still have any knowledge on how to use a handheld scanner :)

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Alright thanks wingedwheel and chum1 does anyone know what I can use for this as I'm prettysure mercury doesn't make these anymore

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Shane, that is the actual tool. I had to use the two-pronged spanner as I mentioned. I have also had some success making my own specialty tools for similar applications. An old socket with a couple of prongs welded on it to fit the holes on the plug would work if you have access to a welder or know someone who can do a quicky fabrication for you.

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok I found out what a spanner wrench is i googled it what way does it turn does any one know once I get my adjustable spanner wrench I will tackle this job