HELP! New boat, low RPM, cant Plane...

scifi52pd

Recruit
I just bought a 2011 280 SCR with 377 Merc DTS Bravo III. boat is new and had it out a couple of times. the past two times, I noticed a loss of rpm and power. i just thought it was because i had too many people and stuff about. i just took it out yesterday (by myself) and i could not get the boat over 3000 rpm (4800-5200 WOT), sounded sluggish and it would not plane at all. not sure what the problem could be on a brand new boat. no real growth on the prop or bottom (a little but not enough to effect performance like this).

Anybody have any ideas? could it be the prop pitch? not sure that could have got messed up since the boat was new and all, but who knows. There is also some standing water, like 3 cups full at the bottom of the bilge under the engine. not enough to set off the bilge pump, but not sure where it is coming from and whether or not that is normal. I have dried it out several times, but keeps coming back. never anymore that like 3 cups full of water.... so clueless on this one also.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
kyle

"ONE LIFE"

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: HELP! New boat, low RPM, cant Plane...

If the boat ran well at any time reaching full wot rpm then why are you thinking it might be the prop? Unless you banged the prop up.

meatyb

Seaman Apprentice

could be a "getting clogged or faulty fuel pump? the same thing happened on my boat although i have a outboard. it just wouldnt rev. had a budy go to back and pump the fuel line ball and she started climbing rpms. took it back to dock and rebuilt the fuel pump then it was god as new.. just my 2 cents but i would def check fuel filter and pressure. keep us posted

ken226

Cadet

You said you've only taken it out a couple times and that the problem has occurred the "past two times". Does that mean the problem has occured EVERY time you've take the boat out since purchasing it? Don't take the previous owners word for how it ran before either.

If the problem didn't exist before, then suddenly came up the last two times out, its obviously not a prop issue. If the problem has existed the whole time youv'e had the boat, it could certainly be a prop issue.

What is your engine size (displacement), Horsepower, boat weight, drive ratio and current prop pitch? Should be pretty easy to determine if your over propped or not.

scifi52pd

Recruit

I just was thinking prop only because of what I read online... seemed somewhat logical. but this is my first prop boat (owned jet boats before) so i am somewhat clueless.

I will check the fuel filter tomorrow and see if it is clogged. Thanks!

kyle

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If the boat is new and performed well previously You have other issues than a prop, unless it and the boat are covered with barnacles.
Could be as simple as a plug wire off or the throttle adjustment .Fuel line kinked when it was assembled at the factory.
What ever it is should be covered by the dealer.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

With regards to the water in the bilge, did anyone go swimming and then hop back aboard the boat?? The water that drops on the seats and floor ends up in the bilge.
It's not a prop problem that you are having, it's an issue with the engine. You could have a bad fuel pump, water in the fuel, etc..... Post your question in the Merc engine/drive section. Besides, if it's a new boat, take it back to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty.