help with mercruiser 4.3l 1990 not starting

gabe4560

Cadet
I had parked my boat for personal problems for around 1.5 ys. now i have redone all the interior and ready to go to the water, only problem is not starting. i changed the starter, new battery the ignition was a thunderbolt iv and i replaced for a delco voyager est kit, new water/fuel separator, whit starting fluid you can hear like explosions, i also put some gas into the carb but nothing. i'm already desperate, i don't know if is out of timing or something else but i'm going nuts with it, im in Miami, waiting for some reply.

thanks

engine mercruiser 4.3l 1990
serial number on top GM6269732
in the side plate over the starter d441567

Bondo

Staff member
Re: help with mercruiser 4.3l 1990 not starting

I had parked my boat for personal problems for around 1.5 ys. now i have redone all the interior and ready to go to the water, only problem is not starting. i changed the starter, new battery the ignition was a thunderbolt iv and i replaced for a delco voyager est kit, new water/fuel separator, whit starting fluid you can hear like explosions, i also put some gas into the carb but nothing. i'm already desperate, i don't know if is out of timing or something else but i'm going nuts with it, im in Miami, waiting for some reply.

thanks

engine mercruiser 4.3l 1990
serial number on top GM6269732
in the side plate over the starter d441567

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Ya probably oughta be lookin' for the Why it don't run,...
Insteada just throwin' parts at it, 'n hopin' it'll start...

It takes Fuel, Fire, Compression, All at the right Time...
Yer missin' 1 of the 4...

'n there's No way for any of Us to know....

If you parked a perfectly running boat 2-years ago, the timing won't be on the list of possible causes.

gabe4560

Cadet

The module (amplifier on the thunderbolt blew and i changed the ignition for a delco voyager etc, best cost effective) for that motive i guess could be because im getting spark on the coil and each of the plugs cables,
ill be removing all the gas because the tank had aprox 5 gal on it and i was stupid enough to put like 15 more on it to cover the 1.5 yrs gas storage i had, but dropping some fresh gas in the carb (2bbl mercarb) is not doing the job either, also the spark plugs used on the thunderbolt (ngkbr6fs) are the same for a delco voyager?, and the gap?

Thanks for the replies

gabe4560

Cadet

what im i missing?, i have checked the distribuitor on tdc in compression and is pointing cyl #1, the gas is new, battery full, and what im getting is explosion noises, backfires through the carb, vapors through the carb/ exhaust and the valves covers hole, checked the spark and is perfect on every cyl and in the coil,
my question is if i have the wrong sparkplugs could that be the problem??????????

Bondo

Staff member

what im i missing?, i have checked the distribuitor on tdc in compression and is pointing cyl #1, the gas is new, battery full, and what im getting is explosion noises, backfires through the carb, vapors through the carb/ exhaust and the valves covers hole, checked the spark and is perfect on every cyl and in the coil,
my question is if i have the wrong sparkplugs could that be the problem??????????

Ayuh,... It sounds like the timing is 180? out, or the firin' order is screwed up.....

gabe4560

Cadet

in that case do i rotate the dist a whole 180 degrees?

gabe4560

Cadet

what do i do to try if is 180 deg