V4 & v6 stator compatibility?

93baylinerjazz

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all
I have a recently aquired 74 Rude 115hp. I have spark on all 4 but its weak, and I can see electrolyte dripping and dried from the charge coils on the stator so I figured i may as well start by replacing it. I have the terminal ring style power pack.

I bought a stator from a local parts guy here in town and as told it's compatible. After further review, i relized its either a 9 or 12 amp from a V6 77 and up. It's part number 581505. It also has the ring style connectors. The gentlemen told me it's interchangable, just to tape off/cap off the two extra brown leads. From a visiual inspection it looks as it if will fit.

Anyone ever have any experience with this? I dont think the amperage should matter as long as it physically fits correct?

Thanks in advance guys!

93baylinerjazz

Seaman Apprentice
Re: V4 & v6 stator compatibility?

I found this similar thread here:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=96202

I was also told that I could use the extra set of brown leads to charge something additional, i.e. a battery for a trolling motor or something. He said both brown leads would be energized and i could either use the extra, or cap it off.

Questions? comments? snide remarks? (It's because I use to own a Bayliner isnt it :facepalm: )

daselbee

Commander

I have no idea if the two stators are interchangeable on that year motor.

But I do know that the voltage on the brown pairs is likely to be between 100 and 200 volts, and maybe more, with very little current source capacity.
Therefore, using that voltage would be highly questionable.

93baylinerjazz

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input.

I beleive you are refering to the charge coil voltage? I checked the table on CDI's website, and both my original stator and the one I am using as replacement show "150-400 volts" for the charge coil specs. I hope I am not understanding incorrectly, but I am assuming that they have the same output due to that. The stator phsyically fits, as I installed it last night.

Let me know if I didnt understand correctly or if there is anything else anyone can think of.

Thanks again!!!

daselbee

Commander

Yes. You are right. You can simply insulate off the two browns that are not used.
The pack gets it's charge voltage from the stator charge coil (browns) and very, very many outboard ignitions spec out the same:
150-400v for the charge supply to the pack. Voltage will rise as RPM increases.

I would like to know if it works.

93baylinerjazz

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again. I am hoping to get the flywheel installed tonight or tomorrow and give it a test run on muffs by Saturday. (I have to make a strap wrench or some other device to hold the flywheel still). I will post back as soon as I test it out.

93baylinerjazz

Seaman Apprentice

It works! I installed it Saturday and did an initial run on muffs (had to get my idle set a little better). I set in yest afternoon and ran her for about an hour and a half with no issues. Runs strong and smooth.

I am very pleased that this $75 alternative to a new $340 stator works. This could be usefull information to anyone trying to save a little on their OMC outboard.

Thanks for the help!

On a side note, does anyone know how to connect the two extra wires to an additional battery to provide charge to it?
Do they have to be passed through the terminal block to run through the rectifier first?

daselbee

Commander

Post # 4 above. You cannot charge a battery with the voltage that the charge coil is producing (150-400 volts). Also it doesn't output enough current (AMPS) to charge a marine lead acid battery.

Forget that project. Glad it saved you some money.