1950 Gale Buccaneer 5hp Carburetor

I recently bought a 1950 Gale Buccaneer 5hp, model # 2B7. I have dismantled and cleaned everything. It has great compression and everything looks good but the carburetor, its missing the part that goes over the air intake. I think it?s a valve that had three settings; Prime, Lean, and Off. I was wondering if this was a critical part, and if it is, is there anything I can rig up to make it work? If not I was looking at some carburetors on ebay that look almost identical to the one that?s on the motor I have. I was wondering if they were compatible?

I was looking at one form a 1957 Brooklure 500 5hp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/57-VINTAGE-...433547&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr

And the other a 1947 goodyear SeaBee 5hp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARBURETOR-...790343&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr

Any help with this would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• 12345.jpg
    12345.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 2

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1950 Gale Buccaneer 5hp Carburetor

Hi and Welcome to iboats!

You will probably get your questions asnwered here...but you might also post your question in the "Ask a Member" forum over at AOMCI.Org

Yours is older than this PDF is for...but looking at the carb illustrations there appear to be a lot of similarities:

http://www.fiberglassics.com/wiki/images/8/82/Galeservice002.pdf

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So; do you have the Needle Valves? It appears that there are two; a high speed and slow speed needle, Then; there appears to be a float "tickler".....that lever that goes over the top of the bowl and pushes down on the float; essentially floods the carb for starting.

You could do without the tickler...but you would certainly need the needle valves....

So; do you have the Needle Valves? It appears that there are two; a high speed and slow speed needle, Then; there appears to be a float "tickler".....that lever that goes over the top of the bowl and pushes down on the float; essentially floods the carb for starting.

You could do without the tickler...but you would certainly need the needle valves....

I have everything but the part that is circled in the attached picture. The problem is that there is no gas getting through the carburetor. I am now thinking that the problem is with that part that is missing. I believe that it helps pull a vacuum to pull in gas. I can get the motor to try and start if I put in a little gas in the air intake; I just think that it isn?t able to pull a vacuum to get gas.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That part is NOT necessary for the motor to run. You say you can get it to run by putting gas in the intake....that is what happens when you hold the float down to prime. If it won't continue to run, the needle is set too lean, or the fuel is not getting to the vertical pipe in the venturi (plugged up)

That part is NOT necessary for the motor to run. You say you can get it to run by putting gas in the intake....that is what happens when you hold the float down to prime. If it won't continue to run, the needle is set too lean, or the fuel is not getting to the vertical pipe in the venturi (plugged up)

You were right, I took the carburetor off and flushed out everything and I was able to get it to run, but with lots of tweaking. It floods easily, so I think the float is set too high. The water pump is not working, does anyone know where I can get any parts for the water pump? I plan to take it off tomorrow and work on it and see if I can figure out why its not working.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The water pump is forward of the propeller. It is what we call a "wobbler pump". The rubber impeller, properly called a "rotor" is part number 550040, available from Evinrude dealers OR Brian Wilcox makes them http://www.chrystine.com/impellers/order.html

Grease leaking out of the lower unit contaminates the pump and makes the rotor swell up, then it doesn't work any more.

How is your cork float? If in bad shape or soaked up gas, it may not float high enough--or at all.

The water pump is forward of the propeller. It is what we call a "wobbler pump". The rubber impeller, properly called a "rotor" is part number 550040, available from Evinrude dealers OR Brian Wilcox makes them http://www.chrystine.com/impellers/order.html

Grease leaking out of the lower unit contaminates the pump and makes the rotor swell up, then it doesn't work any more.

How is your cork float? If in bad shape or soaked up gas, it may not float high enough--or at all.

Thanks for the part# on the impeller. The cork float was in bad shape; I replaced it with a new cork and coated it in a gas resistant coating. It needs a lot of adjusting. I can get the motor to run, but only with the throttle in one position. It doesn?t get enough gas if I throttle it up, but if I adjust the valve to let in more gas, even a little, it floods out. It's either too lean or too much gas. Does anyone know what would cause this? I'm thinking the cork float needs more adjusting, just don?t know whether to go up or down with it because the motor is flooding and running too lean.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but are you "adjusting" it with the lower knob? That is the fuel shut-off valve and should be full open. The upper, main knob, is the mixture adjustment. They normally run about 3/8 turn open, sensitive, but not terribly so.

Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but are you "adjusting" it with the lower knob? That is the fuel shut-off valve and should be full open. The upper, main knob, is the mixture adjustment. They normally run about 3/8 turn open, sensitive, but not terribly so.

Thanks for asking the dumb questions, I'll take any imput on how to get this motor running. I am not adjusting the lower knob; I have that one left open. The numbers on the upper knob I think go from 1-9. I have to have it on 3 for the motor to start, and the trottle about half way. But I can?t throttle up from there or adjust the knob to let more gas in or out because it'll shut off.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

In that case, I dunno where the problem is. I guess you realize the numbers on the dial mean nothing because you can install the knob on the needle in any position without disturbing the needle itself.

It sort of sounds like a severely damaged tip on the needle or it's seat. Or I suppose you could be correct in suspecting the float level.

I bought a carburetor off eBay, seems to be the same so hopefully that’ll fix my problems. I did have another couple of questions. Should I be able to see water coming out anywhere from the water pump, or does it just feed back into the exhaust? Also what should the gas oil ratio be? I saw somewhere on here 24:1, I just wanted to make sure. I don’t know if this makes any difference, but I think this is a 1950 Spiegel not a Buccaneer, but from what I have read online they seem to be basically the same.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Water will slobber out the slots about half way down when running. Yes, the exhaust blows it out. 24:1 is correct, althjough originally it was 16:1. Your choice, really. The motor was made by Gale Products, under a bunch of brand nanes. Spiegel Brooklure was one of them. All the same with different trim parts.

Water will slobber out the slots about half way down when running. Yes, the exhaust blows it out. 24:1 is correct, althjough originally it was 16:1. Your choice, really. The motor was made by Gale Products, under a bunch of brand nanes. Spiegel Brooklure was one of them. All the same with different trim parts.

Would it be better for the motor to run 16:1, or does it not really matter?

Thank you all for your help, got the motor running consistently now with the water pump working to; I attached a picture of it. It still needs a bit of tweaking, but it?s running. Now all I need is to add a permanent gas tank then I'm done.

Attachments

• Outboard motor running.jpg
    Outboard motor running.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 0