260 Mercruiser Fuel Pickup

This one is difficult to describe. Boat will idle and run at slow speed, but when you try to go fast or kick in the four barrel she stalls. Noticed the inline clear fuel filter is almost empty when tying to increase speed. Replaced the engine fuel pump last year. The main problem is the 18 gallon aluminum fuel tank is under the removeable rear seat and I can remove the 6 screws and the sending unit. You can see the pickup tube and screen thru this 2.5" diameter hole, but when you remove the elbow to the pickup tube there is no way to get the tube out. Can't get my hand or a tool to reach from the sending unit hole.
Since I have an inline filter I added I'm seriously considering running a sharp wire of some sort thru the tube and poking holes and that screen at the bottom of the pickup tube. Boat is an 18', 1976 Dixe with A 260 Mercruiser
Any suggestions appreciated !

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 260 Mercruiser Fuel Pickup

the inline is, not cg approved .
use a remote tanbk hooked to the fuel pump directly to verify lack of fuel (carb issue) or to verify it does not run properly(fuel line delivery,fuel tank issue). The anti-syphon valve is your most likely culprit.

kd7isf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The anti siphon valve Bt Doc is telling you to check IS the metal piece on your tank that the fuel line is connected to (the nipple it's self -- it has a spring loaded check valve in it, they corrode and stick, usually shut, after enough time goes by)

Hope this helps

the inline is, not cg approved .
use a remote tanbk hooked to the fuel pump directly to verify lack of fuel (carb issue) or to verify it does not run properly(fuel line delivery,fuel tank issue). The anti-syphon valve is your most likely culprit.

Thank you very much, will try the direct line to the fuel pump this evening. I'm still not sure where this check valve is located unless it would be inside my tank.. My fuel lines are all copper and goes to an brass elbow flanged and screws directly to the tank.
Again, I appreciate your help !!