Another transom repair question

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an 88' Blue Fin Sportsman 17' alluminum hull with a 70hp outbaord.

I'd like to replace the transom in the near future, it's not horrable, but the boat gets used at least every weekend and we use it pretty hard. It's soft in some places and is slightly pulled away from the splash well.

I've read up on the correct way to do it. Pull out he old wood, use it as a templace for my new pieces, laminate them together, then epoxy and glass them.

My question is.... do I really need to epoxy and glass them (does it add that much strength?). The thinking is... the wood in the boat lasted almost 25 years (and it's still going) without epoxy or glass. I love the boat but realistically I realize I probably won't own it in another 20+ years, so is it worth the extra trouble? It's not really the cost, I just don't see that I'm going to benifit from it.

Just looking for opinions...

Thanks,
Austin

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Another transom repair question

Throw about 4 coats of marine varnish on the wood and install it. It will last you fine. I would NOT leave the wood bare.

hazmat5760

Seaman

The epoxy and resin waterproof the wood. Otherwise, you'll end up with rotten wood again.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, I'd seal the wood. You can use just good old rustoleum oil based paint. Thin the first coat with 50% mineral spirits so it will really soak in well then finish with 3 coats full strength and it will last you as long as you want. Some touch ups along the years might be required but easy enug to do. Main thing is to always predrill and precoat any penetrations into the wood with 3M 4200 sealant to keep the water out of the wood.

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, simply enough, so the glass isn't neccesary for strength?

I'm curious is the manufacturer does anything to seal it.

Thanks,
Austin