It was a sign not to go fishing.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Maybe a stupid human trick category.

Wanted to go fishing all weekend. Sunday rolls around and I figure I'd get rid of the miss in the engine.
Start messing with the motor. Cleaning and gapping the points, but In noticed the stack where the advance is hooked to the throttle is wobbly, causing a thousands difference. Took me a bit to get that sorted out. But that also threw off my throttle linkage. So I had to sort that out as well... Regap the points... Several hours later
SNAP
Break my only key to the boat ignition.
Run it down to the only real hardware store in this area. Out of the 250 different key blanks, they have none.
I should have called it quits there.... But hey. I wanted to go fishing all week. A stupid key isn't going to keep me off the water.
So I push the end of the key in the ignition and turn it with a screw driver. Choke sticks because the ignition wont spring out... No worries. Rarely ever have to use the choke anyways...... So we head to the launch.

launch and fire up the boat.. Running smooth but had this odd humming sound. Couldn't figure it out.. Thought maybe it was the metal bracket I made to hold a condenser in place... Onward. Start heading out to fish. We get near and I throttle down and the noise is still there. Then I hear a "tink" sound. The sound the starter makes when you let off from cranking.. I shut down and pop the engine cover. The starter motor is so hot it boils water on the case of it. It doesn't crank either..... It must have been engaged the whole time. :facepalm:

Oh yeah guess what. No anchor either and my son broke the blade for my trolling motor.. But on the bright side it's only 4-5 feet deep. But wait!!! Rope on the flywheel hooks and the engine is fired up again... We fished a while got nothing. Son hooked a big one big couldn't get it near the boat..

So now we head out back to the dock. slow down for other boat and make my turn to the dock.. last 500 feet were full throttle with the engine just puttering barely running...

Should have stayed home...........

Tyme2fish

Commander
Re: It was a sign not to go fishing.

AS JB once stated to me, "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes,you're the bug!!"

Maclin

Admiral

I like the "sometimes you are the manatee, sometimes you are the prop" also... :)

aspeck

Staff member

... but a bad day fishing is better than a good day working, right????