Reinstalling reverse lockout on 90hp Inline 6

uncle914

Cadet
I had to swap my lower unit with a spare I had last year (seized propellor shaft ring) and I had trouble reinstalling reverse lockout. I need to get in and replace water pump impellor, so I figured I would put it all back together correctly. What is the correct alignment for the lockout, the manual is very ambiguous.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Reinstalling reverse lockout on 90hp Inline 6

With the lower unit in neutral, the flat side of the cam should be aligned directly with the front centre (12:00 o'clock). Once you have this, shift the LU into Forward as well as the boat controls and install the LU. Once you have the LU installed, check the prop for correct gear selection using finger pressure only on the prop:

Forward: Prop will turn (ratchet) CW but not turn CCW
Neutral: Prop will turn freely in either direction
Reverse: Prop will not turn in either direction except for a few degrees of gear mesh.

Here is the link again to the condensed version of the Clymer manual in case you did not get to it in time. The link is short lived, so download it soonest to your computer. See figure M14-53 for the cam as described above.

http://web.ebscohost.com/serrc/pdf?sid=de93db92-63c7-40cb-981a-0c3367b18056@sessionmgr11&vid=7&hid=9

Gerry

uncle914

Cadet

Seems I missed the download window, tried to email it to myself and all I get is a link to another site that I need to sign in to???

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's OK here in the UK!!

Dave