compass

r.j.dawg

Ensign
Re: compass

Depending on the make, your compass should have two compensation rods. One for east/west correction ( on the starboard side of the compass base) which you can correct up to 20 degrees of deviation, and one for fore/aft correction (normally facing aft on the compass base). That is how it works for my Ritchie.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Are you talking about the dial being level with the horizon? I had to make an angled block to put under my compass because my dash was not level.

markeymark

Recruit

Are you talking about the dial being level with the horizon? I had to make an angled block to put under my compass because my dash was not level.

the dial inside of the compass is not sitting horzontal,tilted to the side

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know of any way to "adjust" the level of the dial. You can adjust the deviation both ways but not the level. As I said I made a round wood block and taper sanded it on my belt sander to make the mounting surface level with the world. Most of the boat companies I worked for either had a level dash or molded a level spot somewhere just for compass mounting. Perfect spot is on the centerline of the boat but nobody does that. Usually compass is mounted centerline with the steering wheel.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

The only time I ever saw that was with an old compass whose fluid had leaked out.
Me too. Being a brand new one you would think it would self centre itself. But as George said, you may have to shim one side to get it to display level. Some thin cardboard should do it. Still, kind of strange.