25 hp johnson running bad PLEASE HELP!

jigemup

Cadet
I have a 1976 Johnson 25 HP manual start that started running bad saturday while fishing. When I start it acts like it wants to die. Then when I can keep it running and go to shift into gear it acts like it wants to die. When I was finely able to get it into gear, I would have to give it alot of throttle in order for it to keep running. At all speeds it just seemed doggy and acted like it was going to die. Not a mechanic so any help would be great

THANKS

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 25 hp johnson running bad PLEASE HELP!

Probably running on 1 cyl. Do a compression test and hook up a spark tester and check for spark on both cylinders.

jigemup

Cadet

So I did a comp test and ea h cykinder is at 120lbs. I have the motor in a tank now and it starts on the first pull. As it sits there idling it is rough. As soon as I try to move the throttle to the shift position it dies. But if I mess w the choke and idle it up it will run as long as soon as I try to slow the motor down it dies?

Haffiman

Commander

Perhaps you should try to clean/rebuild the carb as first option. However check that you are not loosing spark as you start advancing the timing.

jigemup

Cadet

Where do I get a service manual as I'm unsure about tearing into it with out the proper knowledge?

Haffiman

Commander

Try to get an OEM manual:
e-Bay
Marineengine
Ken Cook