Tracker Grizzly 1448 Problems

hattrup1981

Cadet
I bought my boat in the summer of 09. I haven't used it in about a year due to the Texas drought depleting the local lakes. I got it ready for the summer and went out last week. I noticed there was water in the back but did not think much about it. Went out again on Saturday and the boat filled with water again. This time I thought maybe there is a leak so I filled the boat with water and I found the leak on the seam in the bow. There is a seam that is welded together to make the V shape and it leaks at the bottom. I decided to take the floor off to check the inside and was mortified by what I saw. I counted 20 broken welds and brackets. I do not abuse the boat so I am confused as to the cause. I am going to bring it by the local Tracker dealer and hope they repair it under warranty. I have seen lots of hull problems on the Internet. Anyone with the same issue that can give me suggestions before going by the dealer? Thanks.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Tracker Grizzly 1448 Problems

You are on the right track........ you need to get the cracks welded..... no question about it.

Many of the cracks happen if people get into the boat while it is not in the water.

I sure hope that tracker marine does the repairs under warranty........ I know they come with a 5 year warranty.

PLEASE do not fill your boat with water to look for leaks...... it soaks your flotation and stresses the hull. They are not made to hold water from the inside.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

How is your boat stored? Covered or inside... or outside uncovered and exposed to the elements?

Could it have filled with rain water and froze during the last winter or 2?

Is it stored on a trailer, or upside down in the yard for kids to play on?

It's a good thing your deck fasteners were exposed so you could remove your decking to make this inspection without ruining your deck finish.

hattrup1981

Cadet

How is your boat stored? Covered or inside... or outside uncovered and exposed to the elements?

Could it have filled with rain water and froze during the last winter or 2?

Is it stored on a trailer, or upside down in the yard for kids to play on?

It's a good thing your deck fasteners were exposed so you could remove your decking to make this inspection without ruining your deck finish.

The boat is always stored in the garage on the trailer. I live in Houston so I don't really have to worry about it freezing.

hattrup1981

Cadet

PLEASE do not fill your boat with water to look for leaks...... it soaks your flotation and stresses the hull. They are not made to hold water from the inside.

I did not put much water in the boat. I only put a few inches in the bottom before the leak became visible.