3.0 1989 runns great but wont restart

snostud025

Recruit
Runs great ater intial startup. But will not restart after shutting down for short period of time? Need help? Is this electrical or vapor locking? I coated the fuel lines with heat coded protection tubing. Boat will start in drive way with engine cover open. So what to do when on water? Frustrated

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 3.0 1989 runns great but wont restart

Welcome to iboats!

How long have you owned the boat? How long has the problem existed? Do you have a "dead man" switch?

tpenfield

Staff member

Runs great after initial startup. But will not restart after shutting down for short period of time? Need help? Is this electrical or vapor locking? I coated the fuel lines with heat coded protection tubing. Boat will start in drive way with engine cover open. So what to do when on water? Frustrated

Welcome to iBoats . . . often threads like these are started where the poster says that their engine runs great, and then proceeds to describe a problem or even several that it is having.

I would say that your engine is not running great, if it does not start after being off for a short period of time. Usually, that is when they would start the quickest.

If you could describe a bit more about how long the engine has to sit, etc. before starting again, that may be helpful. And, as you know, just about every engine runs great in the driveway, as there is no load on the engine, and therefore lower heat. The problem that you are having definitely sounds heat related. It could be that the ignition electronics are becoming a bit flakey. Post engine serial number, year, etc to get more specifics about what could be wrong.

kd7isf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2nd

Do you have points or electronic ignition? If you have electronic, odds are your ignition module is slowly dieing... If you have points they are probably burnt or very worn.....

Hope this helps

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check voltage at the coil when cranking a bad solenoid could give you low voltage and hard starting.

snostud025

Recruit

Its 89 with points. If it was electrical wont it break up when running on top end? It will cruise right along. Its when I stop and try to restart is when I have the problem. It will not restart. If I wait alittle till it cools it will restart. Could the fuel pump be acting up? Vapor Lock? Just need to know where to start?

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

I was having a similar problem with my 94 3.0L. Don suggested rebuilding the carb, and Chris suggested resetting my float 1/16" lower. When i rebuilt the carb, set the float lower, and added a second carb to manifold gasket, my hot starting problems disappeared. Good Luck.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Check for spark when you try to restart and have troubles.