Starting Procedure for 2000 200HP Fitch Outboard

gscaton1

Seaman
I have been told so many things that I am confused and decided to try this board. After about 4 yrs, I found out my engine has no choke even though on the control board it saids to push in and start. Also there is a throttle to push up when cold starting. I also found out with a Fitch outboard that you don't have to push up the throttle. This must be for another kind of motor if you have then the Fitch. Just turn the key and when the lights for the fuel pressure lights to go out then just turn the key. is this correct and when the engine is hot, you don't have to do that. just turn the key. Just curious how most of you do the cold start for the Fitch outboard, thanks.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starting Procedure for 2000 200HP Fitch Outboard

I last owned a Ficht 11 yrs ago. I just recall turning the key. In the 4 summers I owned it, it went thru several reprogramings, cylinderhead replacements, and finally a new powerhead. It had 49 hrs on the new powerhead when I traded it and as the Mechanic said "a real nice score starting in one cylinder"

gscaton1

Seaman

thanks for the reply, I had mine about 7 years, but need a fuel pump this year, first time knock on wood something like that had happen. Very expensive part $728.00. All places I called up said the same thing, over $700. I wonder how much the mechanic gets it for but anyway, it seems to ride pretty good now. It was starting to surg terrible and the mechanic told me last year it sounds like the fuel pump is going up. Hope this the last thing for a while. I was just curious about the starting procedure since I have heard so many things.

boatguy823

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it's a pressurized fuel injected engine.....there is no choke so pushing the key in does nothing, normal starting is crank and start...no fast idle needed the ecm compensates for cold starts by advancing the timing and increasing the amount of fuel the injectors deliver. And that 700 fuel pump....normal price everywhere you go. oh and the system check lights have nothing to with starting you don't have to wait for them to go off

gscaton1

Seaman

thks so much. When I started the motor on land when I got it back the idle ran a little rough and it was a little hard to start. I was a little worried so when I called the mechanic and he said the computer has to adjust itself to the new fuel pump. I came back today and started it and it started right up and the idle was pretty good. is this normal. Anyway it seems to run better today.
I mentioned the lights because peple have said to me let the lights go out because something to do with the fuel pressure building up.

fireman_bob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got the same motor. I've never waited for the lights to go out to start. The lights just come on so you know they're working. The timing of them coming on and going off really doesn't indicate anything special. From the manual's starting procedure:
Be sure throttle is in neutral position. Turn the key switch fully clockwise to start position. Crank for no more than 10 seconds. Upon start-up release the key.
Nothing about the lights.

gscaton1

Seaman

I was told about the lights because of the fuel pressure. That why I am confused, my manual stinks. Mechanic told me to wait until the lights go out to build up the fuel pressure before you start when cold.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Why do you say the manual stinks?

gscaton1

Seaman

Didn't mean to say that just confused. do you have to wait till the fuel pressure is built up when cold then turn the key? A few mechanics told me that. My manual talks about the choke and pushing it in and advancing the throttle. That must be for another engine. I also heard for a Ficht outboard you don't have to do that.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

On a Ficht all you should have to do is pump the primer bulb and turn the key to start.