1987 Stingray w/ 2.5 mercruiser wont plane out

zwolfe15

Cadet
Recently bought a 1987 16' stingray with a 2.5 mercruiser on it...boat ran fine when i took it out for a test drive and then again a few days later...but took it out yesterday and it wouldnt plane out...has a 14.8X17 prop...any ideas?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1987 Stingray w/ 2.5 mercruiser wont plane out

Are you using the trim?

zwolfe15

Cadet

Yeah using the trim everything on the trim system seems to be working properly...havent changed anything on the boat..find it kind of unusual that it was working one day then it wasn't the next..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is lots of things that will keep a boat from getting on plane. Give us some details, how is the boat loaded? What's the rpm doing, things like that.

zwolfe15

Cadet

The boat really doesn't have anything in it engine and gas tank in the back and thats been it so far just had it out riding around me and one other person in it....rpms are around 3000 to 3500 have heard that is low...but what gets me is the fact that it had just started doing it all in the matter of a week...when the boat was running fine we had exactly the same stuff in the boat and loaded exactly the same..

Bondo

Staff member

The boat really doesn't have anything in it engine and gas tank in the back and thats been it so far just had it out riding around me and one other person in it....rpms are around 3000 to 3500 have heard that is low...but what gets me is the fact that it had just started doing it all in the matter of a week...when the boat was running fine we had exactly the same stuff in the boat and loaded exactly the same..

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Everything in life works perfectly, til it don't,....

Check for Crap in, 'n change the fuel filters,...

Should be 1 in the fuelpump, 'n 1 in the carb...

zwolfe15

Cadet

replaced the plugs wires and points took it out on the water today and the boat planed out no problem....should be good to go till something else happens..