Fuel ball will not stay primed

denis1227

Recruit
Hello all,

New to this boating site

I have been boating for sometime now. I have a 1985 Johnson GT150. Had it rebuilt about 3 years ago and is running strong. But now I have a small fuel question. The primming ball will not stay primed. I just went up and bought a new fuel line and ball. I can prime it, it starts right up, but after 1-2 min. it will start to hesitate. I will give it a few pumps on the ball and it straightens right out. But after another minuite or 2 it will do the same thing. Any of you know what to look for?

It has to be something small that I am not catching. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Denis

daselbee

Commander
Re: Fuel ball will not stay primed

Typically the symptom of a bad fuel pump. Check the pressure of the fuel pump output.

daselbee

Commander

Well 3 to 4 psi at idle, and pulsating going down toward 1 and jumping up toward 3 accompanied by a click from the fuel pump. But I was kinda thinking that you would see it go to zero......indicating a bad fuel pump.

slimjohnson

Seaman

A bad oring on the fuel line quick connector at motor or tank will sometimes cause this also. Did you put new ones on with the new hose. Mine did this last year.