Alpha 1 Gen 2 Drive shaft O-Rings

jmcdona

Cadet
I have a 1991 Alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive that I pulled last Fall for winterizing, and waterpump replacement. I'm about to reinstall the outdrive and I see that the two original o-rings are not on the drive shaft, and I am unable to locate them in the gimbal bearing/ bellows area. I'm certain that I didn't remove the original o-rings when I pulled the drive last Fall.

My question is, - can I just install new o-rings and install the outdrive, assuming that the original 2 are in the coupling somewhere, but can do no harm? Or do I need to dismantle and go after them?

Also, my QUICKSILVER 27-94996Q2 DRIVE BELL HOUSING GASKET SET has 4 o-rings, 2 orange o-rings for the drive shaft, 1 black for the water passage, and an orange one that I'm not sure where it goes. Is it not used on the gen 2?

DSCN4559.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alpha 1 Gen 2 Drive shaft O-Rings

it is not used on your year GEN II , the newer ones have a groove halfway down the inputshaft.

Attachments

• 18-2146_big.jpg
    18-2146_big.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 7

jmcdona

Cadet
Re: Alpha 1 Gen 2 Drive shaft O-Rings

it is not used on your year GEN II , the newer ones have a groove halfway down the inputshaft.

Thanks for the clarification.

Do you think that I should I be concerned about the missing o-rings, or am I okay to move on?