sealing small weeping hole - boat is in water

deeman7777

Seaman
My new to me boat is in the water for the season. I noticed some water in the bilge and looked to see where it was coming from. As it turns out, the hole in the transom where the transducer and spedo wire go through is not sealed well and every time the water / waves hit the hole a small amount of water leaks into the bilge. IF it were perfectly calm and the boat had no gas to weigh it down the hole would be about 1" above the waterline. Anyhow - is there a putty / plug material I can stuff in the hole for the rest of the season?

I really doubt silicone would set due to the wetness.

Any advice? Thanks!

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: sealing small weeping hole - boat is in water

4200 will work; it will cure in moisture and even underwater.

What was used to seal it in the first place? If the answer is silicone, that's the wrong answer. Remove all of it you can, then seal it up with 4200 on both outside and inside and try to get the stuff as deep into the transom core as possible.

deeman7777

Seaman

Thanks a ton. I really don't have good access to the outside since it's under a big swim platform. I am hoping to seal it enough for the season and do it right in October. Thanks Spoils!!

NYBo

Admiral

If water is getting into the boat, it's also getting into the transom core. If that core is wood, you have a major problem in the making.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Thanks a ton. I really don't have good access to the outside since it's under a big swim platform. I am hoping to seal it enough for the season and do it right in October. Thanks Spoils!!

Sealing it on the inside is pointless. In fact, you probably SHOULDN'T seal it! Having it sealed on the inside only means your transom is soaking up water like a sponge... Expect to replace the transom or sell the boat very shortly.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

you really need to get to the outside of the hole and get it sealed inside and out.

Divrdan

Recruit

you really need to get to the outside of the hole and get it sealed inside and out.

Deeman,
I agree with the posters here that suggest your biggest concern would be water intrusion into the transom core.
This is a structural issue, and should be addressed sooner... than later.

I would seal the outside of the hole IMMEDIATELY, but hold off on sealing the inside for a few days.
WHY??? Because after you seal the outside, you will want to be good and sure the seal is 100% water-tight.
Consider....
If your outside seal is only 95% water tight... your INSIDE seal happens to be perfect, you will continue to have water invading your transom... and never know it.
Seal the outside first. Wait a few days, all the while observing the inside, looking for evidence of any water.
Once you are SURE your outside repair is uncompromised, then you can go ahead and finish the job with the inside seal.
In the fall, after the boat is hauled out of the water, it may be a time to consider re-locating that exit hole 4" to 6" above where it is now, and then epoxy fill, and /or re-glass over the old hole.
Best of Luck,
divrdan

salty87

Commander

shouldn't be too hard to find out if sea ray transoms are solid or not.

if not solid fiberglass, the cost of a haul-out doesn't compare to the cost of transom job.