Advice on shift cable (new style) removal

wolo

Recruit
Been lurking here for a while, lots of great info. First time working on an Alpha 1 outdrive with the intention of replacing the water hose (PO installed one a bit too long, kinked and chafing) but figured I'd do all the bellows, water pump and maybe gimbal bearing while I was in there.

Everything is going well but I'm stuck at the shift cable It's the new style with the nut on the aft side. I've got the cable unhooked from the engine and have pulled it through the transom with a wire behind it to help get it back in. I've got the bell housing on the bench now, and I've welded together a 9/16" deep socket and another shorter socket to make a shift cable removal tool. I can get a really good grip on the nut, but I cannot turn it.

Was looking for answers/confirmation to these questions:

1. This nut should turn counterclockwise, right?
2. It should rotate the whole outer cable

I haven't used an impact wrench yet and I haven't used any heat. Right now it's soaking in penetrating oil and I've scratched away the small amount of corrosion that was around it.

Any advice for next steps? Don't want to break anything.

Plan B. may be to leave the existing shift boot in place.. it looks almost new.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts --
Greg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Advice on shift cable (new style) removal

Yes, it should turn CCW to remove it, and the cable should turn with it.

They are tight, and if it's been in salt water, the corrosion helps hold them in as well. I have broken 2 them on salt water boats, was able to get one out drilling a little at a time until it was thin enough to pick out the pieces. You don't want to damage those threads by drilling crooked. The other was so corroded the whole bellhousing was replaced.

wolo

Recruit
Re: Advice on shift cable (new style) removal

Thanks for the advice, Don. Was able to drill it out from the transom side working my way up to 29/64". The worst corrosion was on that side, and the drill bit actually spun the brass nut end right out with about 5 perfect threads. Cleaned it up with a 1/4" pipe tap and it looks good.

Next mission now that I have more parts is to destroy the shift arm so that I can replace the old style shift seal with the newer/larger brass bushing and seal. Hoping to get it all buttoned up with weekend and go boating.

Thanks again!
Greg