How do I replace lower exhasust cyl gasket on 94" 50hp Force?

BTMJAP

Cadet
I have water leaking into the housing of my 1994 50 hp Force. I can see where the gasket is torn and believe it is the lower exhaust cylinder gasket? It looks like I need to pull the powerhead to access. Also, any suggestions where to purchase?
Thanks.
Bob

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: How do I replace lower exhasust cyl gasket on 94" 50hp Force?

F684453-1 Part# Possible they sell it here(not).
Try boats . net they have in stock About $9
Yup removing the head is the only way.

BTMJAP

Cadet

That's what I thought. Do I have to remove flywheel when I pull the power head?

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nope, just the bolts holding the powerhead to the base. There are three bushings that are hidden below the carb and behind a cover plate. They usually will give you trouble when you try to lift the powerhead off. Remove the two in front, you will see what I mean when you pull the cover off. Then they won't bind when you lift the powerhead.

I have done this on a '85 model year 35 HP Force. Did not need to remove flywheel. Got to take the lower unit and lower leg off and get to the bolts on the bottom of the power head. I actually had an exhaust leak into the housing on that gasket and it was stalling my engine out with the hood on it. If you are a half capable backyard mechanic you should be able to handle this.

BTMJAP

Cadet

So after I remove those bushings and drop the lower unit, will the head pull right off? Do I need a hoist or come a long to lift off?

BTMJAP

Cadet

So after I remove those bushings and drop the lower unit, will the head pull right off? Do I need a hoist or come a long to lift off?

I removed the cover plate below carb. The parts breakdown shows as "upper shock mount". Is this what you are refering?

tater76

Yes, but don't try to remove the center flat head screws on the middle (large) bushing. Instead, grab the two side bushings with a pair of vise grip pliers, then remove the locknut on the outside of the case that holds them in place. The powerhead is light enough that one man can handle it. However, don't hurt yourself trying to do it. Its always easier with two guys ;)

BTMJAP

Cadet

Yes, but don't try to remove the center flat head screws on the middle (large) bushing. Instead, grab the two side bushings with a pair of vise grip pliers, then remove the locknut on the outside of the case that holds them in place. The powerhead is light enough that one man can handle it. However, don't hurt yourself trying to do it. Its always easier with two guys ;)

Got it. Do I need to drop the lower unit?

tater76

To be honest its been a while since I had to tear down a fifty, and I can't remember if its necessary or not. Try it without removing the lower first as its easy to take off if needed.