WOT at last!!!

Aggitated

Seaman
After months of tinkering, I hit WOT this am. However, I had to ease into throttle to get there. Motor still has miss, but runs much better. Fixing the trigger wires made a huge difference. Now, If I can just get this last bug out of her she will run. I have faith. (belief in things un-seen) Any ideas as to why still missing and getting WOT if I nudge the throttle up? I'm highly suspious of the carbs, which haven't had kits installed, just cleaned. I cut donuts and figure eights today, the first time in 6 months I've been able to do that. If nothing else I'll take it like it is.

Also, apppears to be a good deal of mostiure forming on the outside of the carbs, around the intake, never noticed this before, is this normal?

Thanks guys.... almost there!!

BobList

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: WOT at last!!!

go along that bus bar on the fuel pump side of the engine... check EACH and every little wire going to that bar. They love to get brittle and break strands under the numbered black rubber seals where the end crimps on. You have to barely tug each one.. if ANY movement, slice it open and crimp a new end on it. I check mine idling on the water.. barely nudge each wire with a pencil or something (shock hazard).. and see if engine smooths out or gets rough. These wires love to misbehave while running, then they behave, etc. Hard to pin it down. I've had one year old repairs on these ends get brittle again, so it's a constant thing to check. Must be the wire material, along with the constant vibration. Makes the copper hard, and brittle (work hardening). Next time, I might try heating the end to soften it again. Copper likes that. ( annealing).

Bob List

Aggitated

Seaman

I did that, went as far as soldering every terminal end and heat srinking it. When I first pulled them off (terminal ends) one fell off in my hand and another trigger wire was almost broken into as well. Amazing what fixin' wires will do for a motor...lol I pulled the trigger off and used a magnifying glass on the wires the rest of the was up to the top the trigger, all looked good. Was pulling spark plugs this am and no 2 plug was about to fall out of it's hole, oops. The motor may have ran as it should had I caught this before I left this morning. May have beeen the cause of my sputtering problem. I link and sync the motor a while ago, back to the lake later this week. I'll get her running right, that's a promise.

Thanks Bob's list

Jiggz

Captain

Congrats to you and your hardwork & persistence. Sputtering or misfiring are very hard to troubleshoot. You need to pay close attention on the situation, sounds, tone and performance of the engine when, how and where it sputters. By having all these data it gives you an idea where to look first. Is it fuel connected, check the filter (hopefully it is a see through) and see if it stays full. Is it carbon build up? Check the exhaust if you black smoke or the plugs if they are fouled. Is it electrical? Now this last one is just total PITA for it can be anything electrical.

Aggitated

Seaman

Jiggz, I don't think its (sputtering) is electrical. I can play with throttle and get WOT. I decarbed engine last weekend. (it was bad)
Ran her this am I returned home to find no 2 plug dangling in the hole- I should have checked before I left. That could have been it.

I won't have time to take her out untill later in the week, but I'll keep you guys posted as to any progress, and if tightening the plug did away with it. Otherwise, the motor acted as if not getting enough gas at mid-high RPM's.

No black smoke just good ole blue stuff. I love the smell of 2 cycle smoke first thing in the am. lol

Filter is an Attwood water separator and no visual aid.
Jiggz, I checked those trigger wires three times before this last time when one end fell off. Unbeliveable.

I'm happy as a pig in the pigpen. It's (motor) is runable, now at least.

Thanks for all your help over the last couple of months. I hope I never talk to you again, (Just kidding)

Jiggz

Captain

Well good on you. Hopefully that's all there is to it so you can start savoring your hardwork and patience. Enjoy.

Aggitated

Seaman

Yea I hope this was it. If nothing else I did a lot of work on my motor that neded to be done, and I'll be better off in the long run. I've learned a bunch over the last couple of months about outboards and force motors. You have to maintain them or else. Da. I'll post how she is doing next time out.... see ya

jmulz824

Seaman

I missed any previous posts on here, but if it's an older chrysler like mine, you might check the condensors, I know mine wouldn't really go wide open and had a miss. Replaced the condensors and fixed.

Aggitated

Seaman

No condensors, I have Prestolite ignition system, in other words pain in the rear. Been an ongoing three month project trying to fix miss. I think I've got now though. Will post how she's doing next chance I have to take her out, I'ts just to hot to mess with right now and I'm working like a dog as well. (work=gas money for boat) lol.