Replacing power trim lines inside boat

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
My new boat has a cracked crimped line from the power trim pump to the leg and it emptied all the power trim fluid into the bilge. I realize this is a warranty issue but I would like to remove it and have a new end swaged on at the local ag dealer (I live in the middle of nowhere). I only have 8 or 9 weeks of boating left. I want to go fishing tomorrow and if I could get this line off and repaired......
I can't even reach the bottom end.
DSC04602.jpg

DSC04603.jpg

DSC04604.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replacing power trim lines inside boat

This picture is for an older drive, but the process is the same. You remove the hose manifold from the bottom of the transom shield to get the lines off.

Trim Hose Replace.jpg

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Crap. This means removing the engine or maybe the complete drive.
No way I will be on the water this week. I am assuming this will be a Mercruiser warranty (not Starcraft). I would guess I will be without the new boat for a month.
I would do this tomorrow if it was just a hose. I'm a mechanic, and I don't mind working for free if it could get me on the water.

Don S

No, you don't have to pull the engine. That manifold for the trim lines is outside of the boat on the gimbal housing. Disconnect the hoses from the pump, drop the trim hose manifold from the gimbal housing and pull the hoses out.

Yes, it's a Mercruiser warranty, not Starcraft.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Don, after reading your reply I ran out to the boat with a flashlight to have a look.
If the local dealer has the line, and a gasket, I should be able to pull the manifold off, remove the line and attach a string with a new line. Then run it through?
If I could do it this way, I think the entire repair would take 1/2 an hour.

dozerII

Admiral

Ricohman is there three 6's in the hin number for this boat, I can't believe the luck your having. I think 1/2 and hour is a little slim to do the job, but maybe an hour and a half. At least you won't have to deal with seized bolts.
Glen

Gpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had to replace one of the lines on my boat when I got it. 'Course mine is an older boat with a 4 cyl, but I still couldn't quite reach the manifold from the inside. What I did was to unbolt the manifold from the outside, unhook the broken line, and tie a piece of strong string to it, then pull it up from the top. Then, I tied the new line to the string and pulled it up. Just watch for cable ties and clamps. On a new boat like yours, I'm sure there will be plenty do remove first. On the plus side, I was looking at your pics in the general forum this morning and I must say I really like the looks of her! It's a shame you're going through such troubles.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I had to replace one of the lines on my boat when I got it. 'Course mine is an older boat with a 4 cyl, but I still couldn't quite reach the manifold from the inside. What I did was to unbolt the manifold from the outside, unhook the broken line, and tie a piece of strong string to it, then pull it up from the top. Then, I tied the new line to the string and pulled it up. Just watch for cable ties and clamps. On a new boat like yours, I'm sure there will be plenty do remove first. On the plus side, I was looking at your pics in the general forum this morning and I must say I really like the looks of her! It's a shame you're going through such troubles.

This is the way I was thinking of doing it. My boat is a 4.3 and I can't really see or even feel whats at the bottom of the line. And its probably clamped in a few places.
I am going to see if I can get this hose off today and get it recrimped or maybe buy a new one.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Ok mercruiser gurus, does anyone know if the black line or the grey line is the most aft? I only want to pull the black line off the manifold if its possible.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Ok, line is off and I will get it repaired.
Is there a bleeding procedure for the pump and rams? I know my tractor specifies the rams be tilted down.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Can't get this line repaired, so I need a new one. The lines I am looking at do not have the quick connect fitting. They do have the flared 45 degree flared end though. Can I just remove my quick coupler and attach it to the new line?

DSC04615.jpg

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I've spent two evenings trying to get the new hose in place with no progress.
I am trying from the bottom to thread it up I had some cord on it from the top but the cord was cut. I have loosely zip tied the new cord to the return line and tried to thread the new along side the existing but it keeps coiling in the bilge.
Does anyone have any tips on this?
Do I need to pull the gimbal housing off?

Don S

You can't pull the gimbal housing off without pulling the engine, the inner transom plate and the exhaust Y.

push the new hose through the hole in the bottom of the gimbal housing, it's stiff enough it should push forward enough that you can reach it from one side or the other.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

You can't pull the gimbal housing off without pulling the engine, the inner transom plate and the exhaust Y.

push the new hose through the hole in the bottom of the gimbal housing, it's stiff enough it should push forward enough that you can reach it from one side or the other.

Hmmm. I tried that for about 4 hours now. There is something in the way preventing the hose from going in place. I figured with a loose zip tie it would follow the other hose. I am afraid that the hoses are going to get worn through on the sharps edges inside the hull, I must have pushed that hose through 100 times by now.
I don't have a lift tall enough to pull the motor but with less than 2 hours on the boat I don't really want to do that anyway. This boat has a 4.3 so reaching around can only get you to the top of the exhaust y.
I'm a mechanic by trade and I've fed thousands of lines in thousands of places and this one has got me.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I found this pic on another iboaters thread.
exhausty.jpg

Compared to my boat.
DSC04604.jpg

It would appear the lines are hitting something then have to run back to the transom then up.
I need some very looooong arms to reach under the motor and thread that hose.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

trim.jpg

there is no need to remove anything but the 2 nuts holding the trim plate on, pull down, change line and gasket, reinstall.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

trim.jpg

there is no need to remove anything but the 2 nuts holding the trim plate on, pull down, change line and gasket, reinstall.

I've got that off, its getting the new hose back through and in place thats giving me grief. I am not going to change the gasket as its new (only 2 hours on this boat).
I am trying this from the bottom up. I would love to have this done by the weekend but I'm not so sure.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here's a couple other screen shots that might help.
Mark

Sorry. Looks like they came out a little small but don't have a way to make them bigger from this computer.
Let me know if anything needs to be clarified.

Attachments

• trimwiresa.jpg
    trimwiresa.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 39
  • trimwiresb.jpg
    trimwiresb.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 43
  • trimwiresc.jpg
    trimwiresc.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try using a sneaky pete, or a cleaning rod from a swamp cooler. They are twisted spring steel, and will help guide the hose.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Here's a couple other screen shots that might help.
Mark

Sorry. Looks like they came out a little small but don't have a way to make them bigger from this computer.
Let me know if anything needs to be clarified.

Thanks for these dimensions. I think this may be for running a wire though. And there is no way you could get your hand back there to pull the hose through without the engine removed.
I am going to try it though. Nothing to lose.