Johnson 150 motor will not crank

RichHunter

Recruit
My 1996 Johnson 150 outboard will not turn over enough to start
it will turn over one or two times when i turn the key
it started up time after time when i got it, it ran all weekend with some sputtering,
it is struggling to turn over now. i have two new 600cc batteries, Starter tested and works.
solenoid replaced. Still nothing...please help!

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: Johnson 150 motor will not crank

Check all of your wiring connections to make sure they are clean and tight. The engine needs to spin 250 RPM to start. If it is spinning but not starting you need to follow the steps in the CDI trouble shooting guide for your outboard. The link is in my sig.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Are you trying to start it in a tank or with muffs? Take the plugs out and see if it will turn over and if water is coming out of the lower plug holes. My neighbor hooked his 70 hp up to muffs and turned the water on full force which put water into his crankcase(he has a well and pump which has 60 #s of pressure); we got the water out and put motor in a tank. Started and ran fine after that; water does not compress and motor can't turn over or run. Good luck

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

it will turn over one or two times when i turn the key

Sounds like low batteries or loose connections. Check the voltage at the starter motor terminal while attempting to crank.

Your charging system may not be functioning, resulting in low batteries.